The Edward Clark Collection contains more than 5,000 items illustrating the development of the book from the 15th Century, and is held on permanent loan by Edinburgh Napier University at our Merchiston Campus, thanks to the Trustees of the Edward Clark Trust.
Edinburgh Napier University has been the custodian of the Edward Clark Collection since 1964, arising from the legacy of late Edinburgh born publisher Edward Clark, who took over ownership of R & R Clark, a thriving publishers, in 1894 upon the death of his father.
The collection which is of considerable historical and financial value, concentrates on the development of typography, the techniques of printing illustrations, and fine bindings. It includes several rare imprints and some splendid examples of typographers, printers, illustrators and binders art and craft.
The collection is stored in a climate controlled environment within the Campus Library at the University's Merchiston Campus, and is used as a teaching resource.
Enquiries about the collection and exhibitions should be addressed to Marian Kirton, Information Services Advisor.
The University welcomes visits to the Collection from bona fide scholars. Access is by prior appointment through Merchiston Campus Library or by contacting Marian.