If the information you are seeking is not available under this publication scheme, then you may wish to request it from us.
The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA) provides you with a right of access to the information we hold, subject to certain exemptions. The Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EI(S)Rs) separately provide a right of access to the environmental information we hold, while the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) provides a right of access to any personal information about you that we hold. Again, these rights are subject to certain exceptions or exemptions. We will provide a response to any valid requests for information made under FOISA within 20 working days. Further information about requesting your personal data can be found on our Data Protection Code of Practice pages.
Email email@example.com to request a copy of any information we may hold that is not available under this scheme.
Charges for information not available under the scheme
Charges for information available under this scheme are set out under Fees. Charges for information covered by both Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA) and the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EI(S)Rs) which is not available under the scheme is subject to charges based on the following calculations:
Charges for general information and environmental information
||% payable by customer
| Up to £100
||Free of charge
|£100 - £600
||100% (environmental information only)
For example, if you requested information that cost us £600 to provide, you would be asked to pay £50, calculated on the basis of a waiver for the first £100 and 10% of the remaining £500.
- for general information we are not obliged to respond to requests which will cost us over £600 to process
- charges are calculated on the basis of the actual cost to Edinburgh Napier University of providing the information
- we do not charge for the time to determine whether we hold the information requested nor for the time it takes to decide whether the information can be released
- charges may be made for locating, retrieving and providing information to you
For chargeable information, we will issue you with a notification of the charge (a fees notice) including how it has been calculated. You will have three months from the date of issue of the fees notice in which to decide whether to pay the charge. The information will be provided on payment of the charge. There will be no charge to you if you decide not to proceed with the request
- Photocopying is charged at 10p per A4 sheet for black and white copying
- 30p per A4 sheet for colour copying
- Postage is charged at actual rate for first class mail
- Staff time is calculated at actual staff cost per staff member hourly salary rate to a maximum of £15 per person per hour (FOISA only).
- Staff time will be charged at full cost for Environmental Information.
EIRS: Where charges may be applied
The Scottish Information Commissioner has provided the following guidance:
- Regulation 8(3) of the EIRs allows authorities to charge a “reasonable amount” for making environmental information available. Any fee charged must not exceed the costs to the authority of producing the information requested, which means that indirect costs (such as the original cost of amassing data and creating a report) must not be passed on to the requester and that fees must not create a profit or surplus for the authority.
- Producing” is not defined in the EIRs. However, the Commissioner takes the view that, as with FOISA, public authorities are entitled to charge for the staff time taken in the location and/or retrieval of that information (this will include staff time redacting information so that it can be provided in response to a request, but will not include time spent determining whether information is actually held or is subject to one or more of the exceptions), as well as the actual costs of supplying the information such as the cost of photocopying the documents and postage.