For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act") the data controller is Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill Campus, EH11 4BN.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website www.napier.ac.uk (the "Website")
- Details of applications you make through our Website
- If you contact us, including via our online enquiry service, we may keep a record of that correspondence
- Details of your visits to our Website and the resources that you access
- We may ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes although you do not have to respond to them.
If you submit personal information to us, for example your name and email address, we may link this information with any other information we have collected about you.
Edinburgh Napier use of visitor statistics
When you visit our website our systems automatically collects information about your computer, including where available your IP address (a unique number assigned to your computer when you are using your browser on the internet), operating system and browser type to monitor customer traffic patterns and website usage.
This statistical data does not contain any personally identifiable information about you or any of our users. It is used to enhance the design and layout of the Website making it easier to navigate.
These statistics are very much like television ratings that tell the networks how many people tuned in to a particular programme. We only use this type of data in aggregate i.e. we look at the data collectively, in summary form, rather than on an individual basis.
We will also collect any information you give to us through our submission forms, like our contact form. If you submit information to us, including a name and email address, we may link this information with the information we have automatically collected about you.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
Usage made of the information
The information you have given us will be stored on our computer systems and used in the following ways:
- Marketing: In order that we may keep you informed by post, email, telephone or other electronic means of the news, events or services that may be of interest (provided you have opted-in to receive such communications). You can opt out at any time
- Web statistics: To improve the service to our clients and to analyse our Website's use without identifying you as an individual
- Market Research: From time to time we may ask you to take part in research surveys to assist us with improving our service to existing and potential students
- Processing applications made by you
- To carry out our obligations to you, such as notifying you about changes to our terms and conditions
Disclosure of your information
Subject to the exceptions set out below, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties including other constituents of Edinburgh Napier University unless:
- Required by law; or
- Your consent has been given.
We may disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any legal obligation e.g. search warrant, subpoena, court order.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of Edinburgh Napier University or others (this includes exchanging information with companies and organisations for purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction).
- To investigate reports of users sending material using a false email address or users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages.
- To protect against misuse or unauthorised use of our Website.
- During emergencies, e.g. when we believe someone's physical safety is at risk.
Accepting this statement acknowledges that we will not be responsible for damages you or any others may suffer as a result of the disclosure of your personal information in accordance with the above.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing a response. If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will correct it.
Even the best policy cannot protect your online privacy and security in all circumstances. Your best protection is to understand the limits to privacy on the Internet and use common sense in all of your online activities. Be aware that email is an inherently insecure form of communication. Remember that in extreme cases third parties are sometimes able to intercept your unencrypted messages.
Edinburgh Napier University is concerned about the security of your personal information particularly when using our Website. Although we have taken all reasonable security precautions, we cannot guarantee internet security and subsequently cannot guarantee that any information you input on our Website is totally secure. In addition to our online security efforts, we have taken steps to protect your personal data offline as well. All of your information is restricted to our offices. Employees are granted access on a need-to-know basis and are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices.
Your control over your personal information
At any time you can withdraw permission for the use of your personal information. This can be done either by ticking the OPT-OUT or UNSUBSCRIBE link contained in all Edinburgh Napier University web communications, or alternatively, by sending an email requesting this to email@example.com.
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
Enquiry, application & alumni processes
If you wish to enquire or apply to Edinburgh Napier University you will be asked to submit your details into our customer databases. When you do this you will be registered to receive e-newsletters and other email communications from us. You can unsubscribe from this by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with REMOVE in the subject line.
We also have a press news list which you can join. To unsubscribe from this list email EdNapierNews@napier.ac.uk with REMOVE in the subject line.
We maintain a database of our alumni and proactively keep them engaged about our alumni services. Find out more about how the University handles alumni data.
Events registration on externally hosted services
Please note that by registering for an event via a service such as Eventbrite (which will host your data out with the EEA) or Bookitbee (which will host your data in the EEA) you will be supplying your personal data to the company/website and as such you are accepting and consenting to the practices in their Privacy Policies.
Edinburgh Napier University is not affiliated with these companies/websites in any way and is using their services solely for the purposes of facilitating event ticketing and registration and does not accept any responsibility or liability for personal data which you have chosen to provide to such third party sites.
For further information, please see the University's Data Protection Policy Statement
How to contact us
In writing to:
Edinburgh Napier University
Last updated: May 2012