Professor George Stonehouse
Dean of The Business School
Professor of International Strategic Management
Room: 2/57, Craiglockhart Campus
Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 4525
Honorary Professor of Strategic Management,
State University of Management, Moscow, Russia;
PhD; MSc; MEd; PGCE; BA (Econ).
Professor George Stonehouse is Dean of Napier University Business School and Professor of International Strategic Management. He is the founder of the Edinburgh Institute of Leadership and Management Practice and was runner-up (with commendation) for Global Director in the Scottish Institute of Directors Awards for 2010. He is a Non-Executive Director of Marketing Edinburgh and of Investors in People (Scotland) and is a founding member of Aspire4Africa, charity set up to promote leadership and business education and development in Africa.
He has wide international experience in both business and academia. He is an Honorary Professor of the State University of Management, Moscow, Russia, Honorary Chair in Leadership at ISB, Kolkata, India and Visiting Professor at the University of International Business and Economics Beijing and the University of Zhengzhou, Peoples Republic of China. His PhD is in Organisational Creativity and his main research and consultancy interests lie in the areas of leadership, strategic management, creativity, knowledge, collaboration, and global business. He has published 3 books and numerous articles in leading academic journals.
He has a strong interest in learning and teaching and in developing innovative approaches to support the processes. He has been engaged in research, consultancy and design and delivery of training with a number of leading UK and international organisations including Anderson and Strathern, Aegon, Black and Decker, NHS Lothian, Hanson PLC, the Improvement Service, Edinburgh City Council, Inland Revenue, Scottish and Southern, Nike, Severstal JSC (Russia) and Yutong Corporation (PRC).
- 'Strategic Leadership for Creative Advantage', keynote speech CAMOT conference, Shanghai, PRC, China (2010).
- 'Cross-Cultural Leadership' ISB Kolkata, India (2010).
- Keynote Speaker 'Leadership in economic crisis' Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce / Chartered Management Institute Leadership Conference, Edinburgh (2009).
- Executive Seminar 'Leadership in the New World Order' IBS, Calcutta, India (2008).
- Keynote Speaker Chartered Management Institute, Annual Conference, Scotland, 'Leading for Creative Advantage' (2008).
- 'Management Practice - the employability factor', Academy of Management, Annual Conference, Anaheim, with S. Minocha (2008).
- Keynote Speaker Chartered Management Institute, Conference, Scottish Parliament, 'Leading with Political Awareness' (2007).
- Executive Seminar 'Leadership in Professional Organisations', Anderson- Strathearn, Edinburgh, Scotland (2007).
- 'Competitive Advantage Revisited: Michael Porter on Strategy and Competitiveness', Journal of Management Inquiry, Vol 16, No3, pp256-273 with B Snowdon (2007).
- 'Knowledge management in the Chinese public sector: empirical investigation', Journal of Technology Management in China, Vol 2 No 3, with Xiaoming Cong, Richard Li-Hua, (2007).
- 'The Dimensions of KM: They know not its called knowledge but they can manage it!' International Journal of Teaching and Case Studies, Special Issue on: "Teaching Knowledge Management: Integration into Curriculum, Teaching Strategies and Teaching Case Studies", Vol 1, Double Issue (3 and 4) with S. Minocha, (2007).
- Towards a body aware Strategic Organization Strategic Organization Vol 5, Issue, 10, November, with S. Minocha (2007).
- 'The 'Learning Trap' - A Bollywood Frame for Strategic Learning,' Management Decision, Vol 44, Issue 10, with S. Minocha, (2006).
- 'Michael Porter on Strategy, Competitiveness and Economic Development', Journal of International Business Studies, Vol 37 March, pp 163-75 with B Snowdon (2006).
- 'The Impact of National Cultures on Learning and Creativity in Organizations', STUT Refereed Paper in Proceedings of the International Conference ' Knowledge-Based Economy and Global Management', Tainan, Taiwan (2005).
- 'Learning to become a Knowledge-centric Organization' in Carbonara, D (ed.) Technology Literacy Uses in Learning Environments, Idea Group Publishing, with J. Pemberton (2005).
- 'The Trying to Learn Trap: The Bollywood Frame of Strategic Learning', Art of Management Conference, Paris, Refereed Conference, Proceedings, pp.274-285, with S Minocha (2005).
- 'The Organizational Characteristics of Knowledge-centricity' in Montano, B. (ed.) Innovations of Knowledge Management, Idea Group Publishing, with J Pemberton (2004).
- 'A Template for Assessing Knowledge-Centricity, Information Resources Management Association Conference: Information Technology and Organisations: Trends, Issues, Challenges and Solutions, pp 519-522, with J Pemberton (2003).
- 'Strategic Planning in SMEs - Some Empirical Findings', Management Decision, November, Vol 40 No 9, pp853-861 with J Pemberton (2002).
- 'Issues and Trends in Computerisation within UK Primary Health Care', Logistics and Information Management, Special Issue Paper 02, with Jon Pemberton, Anna Buehring, Louise Simpson and Ian Purves (2002).
- 'Towards a Knowledge-Centric Organisation', Knowledge and Process Management, Vol 9 No 2, with J Pemberton and M Francis (2002).
- 'Managing Knowledge in UK Primary Healthcare: Some Mixed Messages', Information Management Research Association Conference, Seattle, USA, with Anna Buehring and Jonathan Pemberton (2002).
- 'Knowledge creation and management in primary healthcare: a socio-technological perspective', Annual Conference of the British Computer Society, Primary Healthcare Specialist Group, Downing College, University of Cambridge, with A Buerhing, J Pemberton, and L Simpson (2001).
- 'The Role of Knowledge Facilitators and Inhibitors: Lessons From Airline Reservation Systems", Long Range Planning, Vol 34 No 2, pp115-138, May 2001 with J Pemberton & C Barber (2001).
- 'Information, CRS Technology and Competitive Advantage: The Airline Industry Revisited', Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol 10 No 1, pp 59-76 with J Pemberton & C Barber (2001).
- 'Benchmarking and the Role of Organisational Learning in Developing Competitive Advantage' Knowledge and Process Management, Vol 8 No 2, pp123-135 with J Pemberton and D Yarrow (2001).
- 'The Role of Individual Knowledge in Developing the Knowledge Centric Organisation' Book Chapter in Knowledge Management in the Socio-Technical World, Springer Books: Operational Research Society, with J Pemberton (2001).
- 'The Impact of Globalisation on the Role of SMEs in Industry Supply Chains', Proceedings of Global Change 2000 Conference, with W. Fraser.
- 'Organisational Learning and Knowledge Assets - an essential partnership', The Learning Organisation, Vol7 No4, pp184-193, with J Pemberton (2000).
- 'Globalisation - The Limits of Convergence', Management in Russia and Abroad, Vol6, pp3-10, with W. Fraser (1999).
- 'Learning and Knowledge Management in the Intelligent Organisation', Participation and Empowerment: an International Journal, Vol 7 No5, pp131-144, with J Pemberton (1999).**
**Awarded the 'Literati Prize' for the outstanding article of 1999