Dr Piotr Marek Jaworski
Lecturer in Economics, Strategy and Operations
School of Management
Room: 3/35, Craiglockhart Campus
Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 4279
PhD in Economics, Warsaw School of Economics, 2003
MSc in Political Economy of Transition, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1997
MBA, University of Minnesota, 1996
MA in Policy of Foreign Trade, Warsaw School of Economics, 1995
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of: European Association of Comparative Economic Studies; British Association of Slavonic and East European Studies.
Areas of Expertise
Social and Commercial Insurance
Economics of Transition
Since 2003 he has been lecturing in Britain: first at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies of University College London and then at Birkbeck College. Before, since 1994, he worked in Poland at Warsaw School of Economics and in The School of Insurance and Banking. He was also involved in negotiations on Polish accession to the European Union serving as and advisor to minister for eight years. His PhD thesis on economics of pension systems was awarded with first prize for the best Polish thesis by the BISE bank.
Key Research Activities
Included in 2008 Research Assessment Exercise 36 Unit of Assessment: Business and Management Studies.
Articles in Journals
- Regular Revision Stupid! - The Retention of Knowledge after the End of Module Delivery; Journal Advances in Higher Education; Accepted for publication, 2011
- Do We Eat Too Much? The Current Economic Crisis as a Result of Overconsumption. With Jörg Weber in Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 2011, vol. 24 no.1 Forthcoming
- Let Us Teach the Way We Preach: Using Economic Concepts in IT-Assisted Continuous Assessment Scheme for Introductory Economics Module, Journal Advances in Higher Education, 2010, Vo l. 2. No. 1
- Systemic Analysis of Pension Systems - Macroeconomic Flows in Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics vol. 18 No 4, 2007 Erratum: vol. 19 No 2 & 3 2008
- An Insurance Policy - Case Study of Legal and Economic Interactions in Transforming Economy with Wierzbicki J., Post-Communist Economies vol. 16 no 1 2004
Books and articles in books
- The Rise And Fall Of One Central European Enterprise -The Case Of Polish 'Elektrim' with Radosevic, S. in Mickiewicz, T. (eds.) Corporate Governance and Finance in Poland and Russia, Palgrave, 2006
- Polish Insurance Market - Formal Adaptations and the Challenges Resulted from the EU Accession with Jaroslaw Wierzbicki in Jaworski, P., Mickiewicz, T. (eds.) Polish EU Accession in Comparative Perspective: Macroeconomics, Finance and the Government; School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London; London 2006
- Polish EU Accession in Comparative Perspective: Macroeconomics, Finance and the Government Editing with Mickiewicz, T. School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London 2006
- The Economic Impact of the World Rugby Sevens Finals With Ron McQuaid and Matthew Dutton; Scottish Rugby Union, 2007June
- Investment in Poland, International Economic Reports 1998/99; 1999/2000; 2000/2001; 2001/2002; Warsaw School of Economics (WSE); Warszawa
- Number of articles in Polish scientific journals in the period of 1997-2003
Knowledge Transfer Projects
- Cost Benefit Analysis of the Working for Families Fund (WFF)
- The Employment Research Institute at Edinburgh Napier University commissioned by the Scottish Executive.