James is the Head of Application services, which includes responsibility for the core corporate systems, business and application development teams who deliver the application and system performance to the University’s students, customer and stakeholders. James and his team also have responsibility for delivering the University Internet, intranet, student portal, as well as the integration of business services using a range of technologies.
These technologies include Sitecore, Microsoft SharePoint, SQL server, Linux , XML, Enterprise service Bus (ESB) and web services and are underpinned by an ASP.NET and PHP environments in combination with which provide service improvement opportunities for the University.
James is currently a member of the Corporate Information Systems Group committee, Universities and Colleges Information Systems Association (UCISA). James has extensive Database design and implementation experience as well as being a qualified PCI DSS Practitioner and ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management and is currently enrolled in the Master of Business Administration (MBA Executive) at Edinburgh Napier University
Prior to James’ current appointment, he spent a number of years as a Senior Developer leveraging web technologies for application development, creating opportunities for business process improvement for Edinburgh Napier and its partners. James has also led on a number of European funded projects utilising search engine and web technologies for accessing large data volumes. James has additional interests in video editing producing items for education and local broadcast, he has also been involved in the design and installations of AV and broadcast services.
• Implementing Microsoft office SharePoint server 2007
• Customising Microsoft Sharepoint products and technologies 2003
• Deigning Collaborative Applications with Sharepoint 2003
• Building Microsoft Content Management Server 2002
• Business Intelligence Reporting Services
• Microsoft Analysis Services
Sharepoint MOSS 2010/7/3
Visual Studio 2005/8/10
• ASP.NET (VB/ 1.1,2.0 & 3.5),
• Classic ASP
• SQL, Transact – SQL (Stored Procedures)
• XML with XSLT
• Integration to Active directory accounts (ASP.NET)
• Object Orientating programming
• SharePoint Object Model (API)
• CAML developments
• Visual Source Safe(VSS, TFS)
• Exposure to SSRS, SSAS, SSIS