We take pride in the support we're able to offer our research students, through training, mentoring from senior staff and top-class research facilities.
As an Edinburgh Napier University research student you will have a dedicated team of supervisors with research expertise in your field. Your supervisors will meet with you on a regular basis to help guide your research project. To complement this supervision you will meet with your supervisory panel at least twice a year for a formal review of your progress, to make sure you're on track and give you further support.
You will have plenty of opportunities to interact with other researchers, both research students and staff from your department and beyond, through our research seminars, events and conferences.
Independent research development and training
To help you develop as an independent researcher you’ll be able to build your expertise through our researcher development programme which includes training in:
- research methods
- research ethics
- academic writing and presentation
- advanced study skills
- career development
This support is recognised by our HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission that we have held since 2010 in recognition for our commitment to the career development of our researchers, and you will become part of that community as you study for your research degree.
We work hard to give our research students access to the training and support they need, so they're confident and happy in their studies. Because of this, the UK-wide 2015 Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) found:
- 80% of our research students were satisfied overall with their experience at Edinburgh Napier.
- 94% were satisfied with the quality of their supervisors' skills and subject knowledge.
- 79% felt their ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences improved during their programme.
- 90% were satisfied with how their research skills have developed during their programme.
Every full-time research student at Edinburgh Napier gets access to their own desk and computer, as well as specialist research equipment. And as an Edinburgh Napier research student, you'll have access to our extensive library services, including:
- over 200,000 print and audio-visual learning and research materials
- more than 32,000 full-text ejournals and magazines on and off campus
- 84,000 eBooks, which you can read online
You'll also be provided with dedicated digital storage and expert support to manage all your research data. We also have excellent IT facilities, including access to more than 1,600 PCs, 200 Macs and a huge range of academic and professional software.
Our world-class research facilities include:
- specialist labs for Cisco networking, computer games development, wireless systems, and Linux and Microsoft technologies
- industry-standard music and broadcast suites
- human performance and biomechanics laboratories
- an environmental chamber to study human performance in extreme conditions
- biomedical laboratories with a confocal microscope, histology suite and real-time polymerase chain reaction suite
- biofuel research labs