Centre for Mathematics & Statistics
The Centre for Mathematics & Statistics has an enviable reputation for the employability of its graduates who are successful in gaining jobs which use their skills in a wide variety of professions such as investment analysis, risk management, statistics and actuarial science in a range of different employment sectors.
Staff are actively engaged in relevant and topical areas of research, including:
- statistical modelling in relation to Aids/HIV
- participation/ access to higher education
- research into child involvement in road traffic accidents
- effects of social inclusion, and;
- evaluation of demographic forecasting with funding from the ESRC and the DETR amongst others.
In addition, the consultancy services of staff are in demand by companies such as the Royal Bank of Scotland, Scottish Courage and other local companies.
This huge variety in the research and consultancy work undertaken within the School is not only incorporated into the degree programmes on offer but the industrial links nurtured by the staff benefit students looking for placements and ultimately, jobs.