The Simulation and Clinical Skills Centre can be hired out for commercial use including NHS training, private healthcare training days, film companies and for private companies and individuals looking to use a simulated healthcare environment. Our large facility is versatile and covers everything from a critical care unit and clinical ward to a home environment.
A critical care unit with adjoining technology control room
- The room can replicate critical care environment with all accessories available to simulate patient care in a critical care facility
- The control room enables technicians to control the response of the high fidelity mannequins such as SimMan3G to the care being delivered. Vital signs such as heart rate, rhythm, respiratory rate and all clinical observations can be controlled, altered and adjusted.
- Our ventilation system Draeger Infinity V500 for
Adults/Paeds/Neonates is also available.
An accident and emergency bay
- The accident and emergency bay includes a 4-bedded trolley area which can simulate an emergency care setting.
- Trauma mannequins simulating emergency injuries are also provided.
Three clinical wards
- One 6-bedded ward
- Two 4-bedded wards
- All ward areas can be adapted to switch between adult or children's wards.
A scrub room
- Stainless steel scrub sinks
A neo-natal room
- This room includes a viewing platform with a two-way mirror so technicians can control a simulated baby's response. Various equipment and mannequins are available from incubators, resuscitaires to ventilator.
Simulated home environment
- Our Simulated Home Environment for Learning Teaching and Research (SHELTeR) functions as a community home used in line with health and social care integration.
- Dementia and disability-friendly requirements include adjustable lighting, a simulated ageing suit, built in kitchen and bathroom, wet room, bedroom. The room can be adapted for any home environment.
Our technical team can advise on the most suitable setting for your project and assist with the use of our specialist equipment. They are also experienced medical makeup artists and can create realistic injuries including wounds, lacerations, burns and bruising.
All of our rooms are versatile and can be set up to recreate other environments including a birthing suite, outpatient department, community setting, GP surgery and theatre recovery room. We also have a large locker room, changing facilities and reception area and nurses station.
“Extremely impressed with the facilities at the University, we used the facilities for a recent film shoot on location for a medical movie. Great experience from start to finish.”
Katelin O'Neil, Business Development Director, 29studios
“Our crew and cast had a great experience shooting at the Simulation and Clinical Skills Centre. We used the location to replicate an authentic hospital for a hard hitting campaign about road safety. The centre was the perfect environment for our shoot and all staff were incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and accommodating, meaning we could achieve exactly the end result needed to budget and on schedule.”
Amy Morement, Location Manager, LS Productions
“Our business has hired out rooms at the Simulation and Clinical Skills Centre for conducting usability studies of medical devices. We found the facilities excellent as the Centre has a one-way mirror, video recording equipment and various types of environments (both home and clinical). The accessibility of the Centre for participants and the helpfulness of staff make this venue a perfect choice for running studies like these.”
"We used Napier's Simulation and Clinical Skills Centre to film a student's business case for The City of Edinburgh Council. It allowed us to capture the student's product in a life-like environment - in this case a hospital - where it would be used without actually interrupting the day to day business of an actual hospital. Thus, we could film a variety of set ups and angles without any rush. Additionally, Napier's team made it very easy for us, they were very helpful and friendly."
Sabine Klaus-Carter Msc, Director, Creation Editor Limited, Video Production