Julio is a Lecturer in Architectural Technology and Building Performance at Edinburgh Napier University School of Engineering and the Built Environment. He is an architect graduated from the School of Architecture at the Marista University in Mexico City and holds an MSc in Energy Efficient Building (distinction) from Oxford Brookes University. He has been a Chartered Mexican Architect since 2003.
His portfolio extends into both new build and refurbishment of buildings including the implementation of sustainable and energy efficient methods to existing housing stock. He is a trained BREEAM and Passivhaus designer particularly interested in the building evaluation and post occupancy energy performance. As part of The Scottish Energy Centre (SEC), Julio is a Research Fellow and has been a firm contributor to the renewable, energy efficiency and the sustainability sector. During his time at SEC he has been involved in building pathology, post occupancy evaluations (POE) and early occupation monitoring of domestic and non-domestic new and refurbished buildings. His recent publications on this topic include technical papers for Historic Scotland and journal papers in relation to performance testing of the thermal upgrades of traditional homes in Scotland. He has also recently completed a POE study for Kingdom Housing Association for their Housing Innovation Showcase.
He is also a Director at the Scottish Ecological Design Association (SEDA). Most recently he has contributed to the research section of the association, responding to government consultations and sourcing research funded projects. Julio is also an active member of Scotland 2020 Climate Group as an advisor to the Scottish Government.
- Director and Treasurer of the Scottish Ecological Design Association (SEDA)
- Member of Scotland 2020 Climate Group, Built Environment Sub Group
- Founding member of Retrofit Scotland: http://www.retrofitscotland.org/
- Scientific Committee member of the 41st International Association for Housing Science (IAHS) World Congress on Housing (2016).
- Scientific Committee member of the Passive Low Energy Architecture (PLEA) held in Edinburgh in July 2017 - Forums: Energy Efficiency and Passive & Climatic Design.