I am a Reader in Marine Sciences at Edinburgh Napier University since 2012, with part-time secondment as Co-Director of Research at St Abbs Marine Station (since 2015; www.marinestation.co.uk). I am Napier’s Research Lead for Animal and Plant Sciences and for Unit of Assessment 7, Research Exercise Framework. I am also an active member of the Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for Scotland (MASTS; www.masts.ac.uk). Before moving to Scotland, I was researcher at the Leibniz Centre of Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT) in Bremen, Germany, with projects in Brazil and Vietnam (2011-2006). Between 2000 and 2005 I was based in Northern Brazil as a postdoctoral fellow and then vice-coordinator of a 10 yrs bilateral research project on Mangrove Dynamics and Management (MADAM - collaboration ZMT and Federal University of Pará), co-funded by the German BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research) and the Brazilian CNPq/CAPES (National Counsel of Technological and Scientific Development / Ministry of Education). In 2000 I gained my PhD degree in Biology at the University Bremen / ZMT, Germany.
>> RESEARCH INTERESTS
My research focusses on (i) the dynamics and management of coastal ecosystems and their associated benthic fauna/fisheries resources, (ii) the linkages between biodiversity and ecosystem functions and services and (iii) life cycles, behaviour and functional ecology of marine invertebrates, and their responses to environmental stressors (e.g. underwater noise, climatic stressors). I have been working in mangrove forests, seagrass meadows, rocky shores and biogenic reefs. My approach involves both descriptive and experimental field and laboratory studies to answer relevant biological and ecological questions and to deliver management solutions.
>> MODULES TAUGHT
Management of Aquatic Protected Areas
>> PHD SUPERVISION/CO-SUPERVISION
- Edward Bolger (from 02/2017) Responses of aquatic invertebrates to underwater sound across different life history stages. Co-supervisor R. Briers. In collaboration with St Abbs Marine Station and MASTS.
- Matthew A. Wale (since 2014) Effects of anthropogenic noise playbacks on marine invertebrates. Edinburgh Napier University, UK. Co-supervisor: R. Briers. In collaboration with Heriot-Watt University and the University of St Andrews, UK.
- Alexander J. Kent (since 2014) Red Vent Syndrome: an emerging disease of significance? Edinburgh Napier University, UK. Co-supervision with S. Rueckert (Director of Research) & R. Briers, ENU; C. Pert (External Supervisor), Marine Scotland Science, UK.
- Potouroglou, M. (2016): Scottish seagrass beds as carbon sinks. Edinburgh Napier University, UK. Team supervision with M. Huxham (Director of Research) and H. Kennedy (External Supervisor), University of Bangor, UK.
- Alberts-Hubatsch, H. (2015): Movement ecology and management of the mud crab Scylla serrata. University of Bremen, Germany. Team supervision with the Leibniz Center of Tropical Marine Ecology, Germany and Griffith University, Australia.
- Meyer, F. (2015): Combined effects of ocean acidification and elevated nutrient availability on coral reef calcifiers. University of Bremen, Germany. Team supervision with the Leibniz Center of Tropical Marine Ecology, Germany.
- Pülmanns, N. (2014): Effects of macrobenthic exclusion on mangrove ecosystem functions. University of Bremen, Germany. Team supervision with the Leibniz Center of Tropical Marine Ecology, Germany and the Federal University of Pará, Brazil.
- Kassuga, A. (2014): Reproductive biology of marine ornamental shrimps in SE Brazil. Federal University of Espirito Santo, Brazil.
- Schmidt, A. (2012): Recruitment and spatial distribution of the harvested mangrove crab Ucides cordatus in mangroves of Caravelas, Bahia, Brazil. Federal University Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Simith, D. (2012): Larval ecology and metamorphosis of the harvested mangrove crab Ucides cordatus. Federal University of Pará, Brazil.
- Araujo, A.R.R (2010): Fisheries statistics and commercialization of the mangrove crab Ucides cordatus. University of Bremen, Germany.
>> MSc SUPERVISION
* Translated from Portuguese
- Lane, J (2016): An investigation into the impact of cliff-top visitors and boats on the nesting success of black-legged kittiwakes (Rissa tridactyla) at St Abbs Head National Nature Reserve. Edinburgh Napier University, UK.
- Fyfe, M. (2015): Effects of inshore boating on the loafing behaviour of Common Guillemots (Uria aalge) at St Abbs Head, Berwickshire, Scotland. Edinburgh Napier University, UK.
- Grozier, J (2015): Effects of ecotourists on nesting success of Kittiwakes (Rissa trydactyla) at St Abbs Head, Berwickshire, Scotland. Edinburgh Napier University, UK.
- Kluger, L. (2012): Intraspecific facilitation? The effect of the mangrove crab Ucides cordatus on sympatric benthic fauna. University of Bremen, Germany.
- Korting, J. (2012): Bioturbation activities of the mangrove crab Ucides cordatus – Method development and first quantification in the Caeté Estuary, North Brazil. University of Bremen, Germany.
- Meyer, F. (2010): Effects of ocean acidification on the development and survival of brachyuran crab larvae. University of Bremen, Germany.
- Jänig, M. (2010): Sharks (Selachii) in mangrove-fringed habitats of the Galápagos Marine Reserve (GMR), with implications for management and conservation. University of Bremen, Germany.
- Simith, D. (2007):* Induction of settlement and metamorphosis in mangrove crab megalopae, Ucides cordatus (L., 1763, Decapoda: Ocypodidae). Federal University of Pará, Brazil.
- D´Lima, C. (2005): Movement ecology of the mangrove crab Ucides cordatus cordatus (L., 1763) (Decapoda: Brachyura) in the Caeté estuary, North Brazil. University of Bremen, Germany.
- De Vale, P. (2001):* “Reproductive biology of the crab Ucides cordatus (L., 1763) in the mangroves of the Caeté estuary, N-Brazil. Federal University of Pará, Brazil.
>> INTERNATIONAL PLACEMENT STUDENTS
- Sainpol, A. (2017 - University of Lyon, School of Engineering - 5 months), PROMO 63 placement
- Boutier, P. (2016 - University of Bogota, Colombia - 4 months) IAESTE placement; assisting with research on the effects of noise on marine invertebrates
- Gisiger, L. (2015 - ETH Zürich, Switzerland - 4 months) IAESTE placement; assisting with research on the effects of noise on marine invertebrates
- Brandt, R. (2014 - TU Aachen, Germany - 2.5 months), IAESTE placement, assisting with research on the effects of noise on marine invertebrates