You should apply as soon as possible after accepting your unconditional offer. You can apply online from 17 August 2015 and must make a £500 advance rent payment.
What you'll need
Before you apply for our accommodation, you will need an unconditional offer to study with us that you have firmly accepted. If you have a conditional offer, you won't be able to apply until this is unconditional - for most, this means waiting for exam results. Don't worry, though, our guarantee date is noon on 22 August, so there will still be time to apply after the results come out and be guaranteed an offer of accommodation.
For students entering through clearing from England, Wales or Northern Ireland, we have reserved additional accommodation through the Student Housing Company and an additional external private sector provider if required. This has allowed us to extend the deadline to apply for this accommodation to noon on Thursday 25 August.
If you’re in your first year of studying with us as an undergraduate, you’ll be guaranteed an offer of accommodation provided you meet the allocation criteria.
You can't choose your accommodation site. However, you can indicate a preference for room type on the application form and we’ll do our best to accommodate your preferences.
Once you have submitted your application and made your £500 advance rent payment, we will allocate you a suitable room and send you a reservation email with details of your flat and rent costs within four working days. You will then be asked to complete a guarantor form, set up your rent payment plan and complete our online induction.
Please note that £150 will be retained by us as a cancellation fee if you cancel your accommodation before the start date of the tenancy. Any cancellations on or after the start date of the tenancy will result in a £350 cancellation fee if you have not yet signed your tenancy.
If you make a mistake during the application process, email email@example.com to amend. Please don't submit a second application.
Read the specimen tenancy before applying.
What happens next?
- We’ll process your application and make you an offer of accommodation. You will receive this information in a reservation email which will contain all your tenancy details, rents and next steps.
- We’ll request that you complete and return a guarantor form to us within five working days – this can be scanned and emailed or posted to us.
- Students allocated to The Student Housing Company or Morrison Circus will have their advance rent payment sent directly to the relevant company, who will be in touch regarding guarantor forms, payment plans and key collection arrangements.
- Students staying for one trimester only are required to pay their full rent upfront.
- If applicable, we’ll require proof of visa to secure your accommodation.
- You’ll be sent a link to our online induction. This must be completed prior to collecting your key and signing your tenancy. At the end of this online induction, you’ll be able to select a time to collect your key and sign your tenancy on 1, 2 or 3 September 2016.
- For key collection, you’ll need to come to our Craiglockhart Campus to sign your tenancy and be given your key. If you are coming from the airport, you may wish to make use of Edinburgh Napier Direct.
- Once you have your key, you’re free to move in to your new flat! We will provide a bus service to take you to your accommodation if you need it.
Once you're in your accommodation
Your flat will be ready for your arrival and staff will be onsite to assist you if you have any queries or concerns. Please don't be afraid to ask questions - our contact numbers are on the noticeboard in your kitchen and we’re here to help.
Make the effort to meet your neighbours - everyone is in the same position as you. It's perfectly normal to feel apprehensive in the first few days in a new home but give it time, you’ll settle in soon!
On application you paid a £500 advance rent payment. This is offset against the total rent for your tenancy, which is payable to the University in seven monthly instalments from 10 October to 10 April (nine instalments until June for extended tenancies).
An indicative rent example as follows:
- Standard en suite room at Bainfield for 39-week tenancy – total rent is £5265.
- Remaining rent after application is £4765 payable in six instalments of £680.71 and one final instalment of £680.74.
- No payment is taken in May and your tenancy will end on 31 May.
A full breakdown of exact rents can be seen on our rent calculator. Your exact rent amounts will be shown on your reservation email.
We have arranged some contents insurance for you with Endsleigh. It is important for you to check this cover, so please follow the steps below to ensure you fully understand the protection provided:
Enter in your policy number HH1136 on the Endsleigh site to check your policy details.
✔Check what is covered.
✔ Check key exclusions and limitations.
✔ Check your policy excess.
✔ Check how to make a claim,
✔Extend and personalise your cover.
Laptops, tablets and phones are not covered for accidental damage or outside your room so you may wish to consider taking out additional cover to protect your essential gadgets and other possessions.
During your tenancy, you'll only be able to cancel your tenancy on the following grounds:
- you’re no longer a student at Edinburgh Napier University;
- you find a suitable replacement tenant;
- medical grounds supported by a letter from your GP.
A student who signs a tenancy with either The Student Housing Company or Universal Student Living (Morrison Circus) will not be released from their tenancy under these clauses. You should read the individual terms before signing your tenancy to ensure you fully understand their terms.
We have a number of accessible flats at our developments and ask that if you have any additional needs, that you contact the office before making your application to ensure that we can meet your needs. Please do this as soon as possible, even if you do not yet have your unconditional offer so we can pre-reserve an appropriate room and make the necessary adjustments if you do apply.
Contact our student accommodation office on 0131 455 3713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.