About the University
In the past our campuses were used for a wide range of purposes, from hospitals and churches to private estates and a castle.
The University is named after John Napier, 16th century mathematician and philosopher who was born and lived in Merchiston Tower – now part of our Merchiston Campus.
Why choose Edinburgh Napier University?
We are a truly international university, with 36.8% of our students coming from overseas. We provide course materials designed to give you the global perspective you need in today's competitive marketplace.
If you choose Edinburgh Napier then you will be choosing one of Europe’s most cosmopolitan and iconic cities, and one of Scotland's top universities for graduate employability.
The setting of Edinburgh is itself an incredible asset for enhancing many Edinburgh Napier degree courses in unique and dynamic ways:
- Home to the world's largest arts festival and a thriving tourism industry, Edinburgh is the place to be for students in the Arts, Tourism, or Festival & Events Management.
- Journalism students benefit from close proximity to the Scottish Parliament and global media industries.
- Business and Marketing classes might enjoy guest lectures by Scottish government consultants or financial sector professionals.
- Science and Technology students also contribute to Scotland’s continuing legacy of innovation.
- And of course, the city’s hauntingly beautiful architecture and atmospheric skies are the Photography student’s dream and Creative Writer’s inspiration.
Edinburgh is also frequented by regular trains and budget airlines, so you will find it very easy and cheap to travel to other cities in the UK and throughout Europe - that's if you ever want to leave!