Edinburgh Napier University has been rated best in Britain for nurturing student talent by a prestigious guide to UK universities.
University tops Guardian Guide category for effectiveness of teaching
We were ranked first out of 119 universities for “Value Added” in the Guardian University Guide 2017.
This measure involves tracking students from enrolment to graduation and comparing entry qualifications with the final award. The top scores go to institutions adept at taking students with low entry qualifications and sending them out into the world with first class degrees or 2:1s.
As well as coming top in the UK in this key measure, the Guardian Guide – which focuses on student satisfaction surveys and assessment of services rather than research – saw the University record a string of impressive results in individual subject areas.
The Guardian University Guide 2017 also saw Edinburgh Napier score highly in terms of graduate employability.
- Edinburgh Napier was ranked best in Scotland and ninth in the UK for hospitality, event management and tourism
- Edinburgh Napier was ranked second in Scotland and sixth in the UK in the journalism, publishing and PR subject area
- We were ranked the top modern university in Scotland for sociology
- We were ranked the top modern university in Scotland for design and crafts
- We were the top modern university in Scotland for music
- Edinburgh Napier was among Scotland’s top three universities for tourism (1st), criminology (2nd), drama and dance (2nd), journalism (2nd), media & film studies (2nd), engineering (3rd), film production & photography (3rd) and music (3rd).
- The University made it into the UK Top 25 for journalism (6th), tourism (9th), film production & photography (14th), drama & dance (18th), engineering (19th), building and town and country planning (24th) and law (24th).
Our “Career Prospects” score – based on assessment of the proportion of graduates who find graduate-level employment, and/or study at an HE or professional level within six months of graduation – leapt by 8.2 percentage points.
This saw Edinburgh Napier jump 22 places (76th to 54th) in the UK rankings and 14 places (23rd to 9th) in the UK Modern rankings.