Growing our academic reputation is at the heart of Strategy 2020. To achieve this, we have set a range of goals and key performance indicators around our teaching, our reputation and our student numbers.
To grow our academic reputation, we will
- Operate at the leading edge of our academic disciplines, through research, professional practice, knowledge exchange and pedagogy
- Establish a reputation for outstanding teaching in every area of our portfolio
- Integrate the taught portfolio with research and professional practice
- Grow our research profile in areas of academic strength and potential
- Establish a thematic interdisciplinary academic focus
- Build our reputation as a leader in research, teaching and innovation in education
- Grow our community of postgraduate students
Key performance indicators by 2020
- Grow our student population from 18,400 to 22,600
- Grow our taught postgraduate population from 3,000 to 3,900
- Grow our research postgraduate population from 200 to 300
- Increase our National Student Survey student satisfaction from 85% to more than 90%
- Grow our Research Excellence Framework submissions from 100 to 200.
- Grow our percentage of our academic staff engaged in externally funded research and knowledge exchange from 16% to 40%.
- Grow our research grant and contract income from £4.6m to £9.1m.
For more detail, please download our academic strategy below, and to find out how we're currently doing against our targets, please see our corporate plan.