The Court is the governing body of the University and is responsible for determining our overall strategic direction. It establishes the budgetary framework, appoints the head of the institution and oversees the University’s performance and development.
The Court of Edinburgh Napier University was constituted in 1993 by Statutory Instrument (as amended in 2007 and re-titled in 2009 through the Edinburgh Napier University Order of Council).
Court's responsibilities include:
The full Statement of Primary Responsibilities of the University Court is published on the University's intranet site.
- approving the University Strategy and monitoring performance against it
- approval of budgets, monitoring of financial performance and presentation of audited financial statements for each financial year
- ensuring the University complies with the requirements of the Combined Code and subsequent codes of Corporate Governance
- ensuring an effective system of internal control
- overseeing the strategic and reputational risks facing the University
- ensuring that statutory requirements for health and safety, equality and diversity, and other areas are met
- the appointment and, if necessary, dismissal of the Principal and Vice-Chancellor, the University Secretary, and any Vice-Principals and Assistant Principals
The Court normally meets four times per year, as well as an annual strategy event with the University senior management team.
The Court has a number of standing committees, some of which have sub-committees. In addition, it establishes working groups and other bodies from time to time, charged with specific and time-limited tasks.
The Constitution of Court defined six categories of membership. These are shown below, along with the names of those members who currently fall into each category.
a) One person to be appointed by the Chancellor who shall act as Assessor to the Chancellor
The Right Hon Lord Philip Brodie
(b) The Principal and Vice-Chancellor
Professor Andrea Nolan
(c) The Vice-Principal or Vice-Principals, subject to no more than three Vice-Principals serving on Court
Professor Alistair Sambell
(d) Three members of the staff of the University to be appointed as follows:
- Member of the staff appointed by the Academic Board from the membership of Academic Board, below the level of Head of Department
Professor Alison McCleery
- Member of the staff elected by and from among the academic staff of the University
Dr Vaughan Ellis
- Member of the staff elected by and from among the non-academic staff of the University
Mr Stewart Walls
(e) The President of the Edinburgh Napier Students' Association and one other office-bearer of the NSA to be selected by the NSA
Mr Manish Khatri (President)
Ms Hannah Markley (Vice President - reps and volunteers)
(f) Persons appointed by the Court reflecting a variety of different interests and experience, including those with experience in the provision of education, local government, industrial, commercial or employment matters or the practice of any profession, not less than 12 nor more than 15 persons as the Court may from time to time determine.
The Very Reverend Dr Graham Forbes CBE (Chairman)
Mr Neil Ballantyne
Mrs June Boyle
Ms Joanne Brown
Mr Robert Hare
Dr Shainool Jiwa
Professor Adrienne Scullion
Dr Paul Stollard
Ms Pamela Woodburn (Vice-Chair)
Mr Neil Woodcock
Mr Ralph Adams
Mr Charles Guest
Ms Elizabeth Partyka
Professor Lesley Yellowlees