The programme will give you a specialist design and technical qualification in timber architecture and architectural technology. You will be introduced to a wide range of relevant technologies including: timber frame; monolithic systems such as cross-laminated timber; post-and-beam; structural insulated panels; mixed systems such as timber-concrete composites; spatial structures such as trusses and grid-shells; along with associated systems such as timber facades.
You will also gain an understanding of how growth in the timber-building sector is being driven by a combination of factors including: sustainability, emerging digital design and fabrication technologies, and an increasing demand for offsite fabrication.
Employers in the timber-building sector are highlighting the lack of suitable specialist design and technical qualifications, particularly at higher levels. Consequently, students on the programme will be eligible to apply for financial support through Edinburgh Napier’s timber industry sponsored postgraduate scholarship initiative and other sources.
- Wood as a building material
- Wood products and processing
- Offsite construction and design for manufacture
- Timber architectural design and technology
- Building acoustics and sound insulation
- Energy performance of timber buildings
- Design of domestic buildings
- Design of non-domestic buildings