We take dual careers seriously. You’re an established or developing world class athlete or coach. We know the challenges you are facing to balance the two and we want to help you succeed in both. We want you to maximise your potential in your studies and your sporting career. We want to develop champions.
We develop athletes and coaches
We welcome applications from elite and developing athletes and coaches and recognise the dedication and effort required to compete at the top level of your sport. Applications are welcome from across the university regardless of mode, level or programme of study.
As part of our commitment to supporting talented students, we have developed a Dual Career Policy for Athletes and Coaches. The Centre for Developing Athletes provides an environment to support you on and off the field.
We take into consideration your training and competition schedule and ensure this does not impact on your application or studies with us.
Academic study support
We provide academic support for eligible members of the Centre for Developing Athletes including:
Dual Career academic tutor
Your Dual Career tutor will
- Liaise with the school to help prevent clashes with your training/competition schedules
- Work with you and the school to find a way to record lectures/tutorials you may have to miss
- Help you plan your studies and arrange alternative arrangement for assessments where possible
- Support you when training or competition selection requires you to be way at short notice
You will also be have access to:
- Induction activities and planning workshops at the beginning of each trimester to help pre-plan support
- Support for requests for academic flexibility for assessments scheduled which clash with competition in line with our Dual Career Policy
- A dedicated Centre for Developing Athletes Online Portal to support signposting, forms, funding opportunities, regulations, contacts, networks, and other useful information
Be part of our team
As an elite or developing athlete or coach you have high expectations. We also have high expectations of you.
As a member of the Centre for Developing Athletes you are ambassadors for the University. You will be expected to:
- Attend personal development events and workshops highlighted via the athlete/coach portal
- Demonstrate excellent attendance (except for periods of authorised absence)
- Support the University’s marketing and recruitment teams by communicating success and participating in marketing activity including interviews and photoshoots
- Meet with your Dual Career Academic Tutor at least once every trimester
- Regularly promote Edinburgh Napier University in social media posts in a professional and appropriate way
- Be a positive and active member of the alumni community when you graduate
- Compete on behalf of Team Napier in BUCS competitions where possible