There are many ways to fund your postgraduate studies, and there may be help available to you if you meet eligibility criteria.
Full-time courses will list the full cost of the course.
Part-time courses are charged on a modular basis. To calculate the full cost of your course, you will need to follow the formula for the exit award you wish to achieve:
- PGCert 3x taught modules
- PGDip 6x taught modules
- Masters 6x taught modules + dissertation modules
Tuition fees may go up over the course of your degree if you're studying for more than one year, however this should be a minimal amount and is likely to be reflected by an increase in the loan amount that's available to you.
Getting a loan
A loan will cover your tuition fees in full up front, but which body pays will depend on where you're applying from. Below is an outline of what you may be eligible to apply for.
Scotland & EU
Full-time courses – Up to £10,000 (£5,500 tuition fee loan & £4,500 living cost loan).
Part-time courses - £5,500 tuition fee loan only to cover the full length of course.
Distance/online learning – funding unavailable.
Visit saas.gov.uk for more information.
A Postgraduate Masters Loan is available for all study modes, which consists of a loan of up to £10,609, and can be used to cover tuition and/or living costs.
Visit gov.uk/masters-loan for more information.
All study modes are eligible for a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500.
A Postgraduate Master’s Loan of up to £13,000 is available to use on tuition and/or living costs.
Repayment of loans is the same as for undergraduate loans: repayment begins the April after you graduate and will be based on what you earn, not how much you borrowed.
There is a 10% discount applied to tuition fees for alumni, no matter when you graduated.
Other scholarships and bursaries that are available are:
- Discretionary Fund A fund to help eligible students, who are in financial difficulty, to attend their programme of study. Find out more here.
- Professional & Career Development Loan A commercial bank loan of up to £10,000. Repayments don’t begin until study is complete. Find out more here.
- Distance learning Bursary A £500 bursary for any student on a UK Distance Learning postgraduate course. Find out more here.
- PG Scholarships Check out what's available on our Bursaries and Scholarships page.
- Sutherland Page Trust A bursary for students studying Medicine, Law, Arts, Divinity or Science. Find out more here.
- DCMS Bursary A bursary to cover tuition fees for MSc Advanced Security & Digital Forensics course. Find out more here.
- Lord Forte Scholarship A £1000 scholarship for students studying International Hospitality Management. Find out more here.
- Childcare Support Full-time UK postgraduate students who have been awarded the Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan by SAAS may be eligible to apply to the University Childcare Fund for help towards the cost of essential registered childcare to enable them to attend their course. Find out more here.