Business Simulation

Find out what it takes to make your business a success.

If you’re considering starting a business, you need a firm grasp of both the theory and operational details to make it happen. This business simulation will bring together the concepts underpinning start up success and the experience of getting your business off the ground. You’ll have the opportunity to put your decisions into action in a competitive virtual business environment.

The course will cover:

  • Getting started;
  • Introduction to business;
  • Market research;
  • Company set-up;
  • Product creation;
  • Promotion and sales;
  • Finance.

Entry requirements 

The course is aimed at individuals wanting to explore running a business.

Students will usually have a relevant undergraduate degree, but lesser qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis. Applicants must be a Scottish or EU resident to be eligible for this funded intake.

A limited number of places are available with full funding from the Scottish Funding Council, to support applicants from Scotland and the EU. 

Start date

The course begins with an online business simulation challenge the week beginning 22 June 2020. You will need to be available between 9am and 6pm for online group sessions and self-guided business simulation tasks throughout the week. The course then runs for seven weeks until 8 August.

The deadline for applications is 28 May 2020, but places will be filled on a first come, first served basis.

How you’ll be taught and assessed

You’ll be taught online through a combination of webinars, videos and online tests, all via our easy-to-access online platform. You’ll also study independently, and work as part of an online virtual team to take a pre-determined business idea from concept to market readiness, through an online business simulation. The course will run for 7 weeks, and you’ll typically study for 25-30 hours per week during the course.

You’ll complete two types of assessment to complete the course. Firstly, a group presentation of evidence which supports your business choices, which will count for 60% of your final mark. Secondly, you’ll complete a reflective journal of your individual experience, which will count for the other 40%.

Successful completion of this short course is worth 20 SCQF credits at level 11.