General FAQs (COVID-19)

General FAQs (COVID-19)

Will classes continue as normal?

All face-to-face teaching has been suspended.

From Monday 23 March all teaching will be done online and remotely. Lecturers and tutors are currently making arrangements to ensure that students’ learning is not adversely impacted by this change.

Will exams/assessments take place as scheduled?

There have been significant changes to the way in which exams and assessments will take place. Please read this guidance carefully and contact your Programme Leader directly if you have any questions.

I want to suspend/withdraw from my studies and return home. What should I do?

We understand the anxiety that some students (and their families) may have at the present time. We would like to reassure students that the University is acting on the advice of public health officials and that our student’s welfare is our highest priority. At this time our teaching is continuing and we believe students should feel able to continue with their studies in safety. Should you still wish to discuss suspending or withdrawing from your studies we would in the first instance encourage you to review the guidance and support published here.

I want to move out of student accommodation. Can I terminate my lease early?

Given the exceptional circumstances, the University has decided to offer students who wish to break or end their lease for University owned student accommodation the opportunity to terminate their lease with 28 days’ notice. This applies to students who have already left or who intend to leave. The University is introducing this measure as part of the support we are offering to help our students through this challenging period.
The window in which to notify the University that you would like to break your lease in student accommodation is from 24 March until 27 March 2020 at 12 noon. Your notice period will start on the day we receive your email requesting release from the lease. Requests beyond this window will not be considered.
Students will not be charged after their lease has ended.

Full details of how to cancel your lease can be found on myNapier.

Will the campuses remain open?

Following UK Government guidance, all our campuses are now closed to students and the public. 

Members of staff must also remain at home unless attendance has been deemed essential by your line manager.

Any staff who has a critical need to attend campus should contact A McGoff (Director of Finance and Operations) on, who will authorise access as appropriate taking into account Health and Safety requirements. Please try and give reasonable notice to allow our Security team to make appropriate arrangements and bear in mind facilities such as lifts will not be operational.

Anyone on campus should continue to follow NHS and Government guidance, for example washing hands regularly and staying two metres away from any colleague.

Finally, remember to bring your ID card and sign in where requested to guarantee access.

Please note that we are constantly reviewing this situation. This is depending on demand and resources available to maintain safe and secure operations. We will advise if this changes.

Will the ENgage gym facilities remain open?

ENgage is now closed until Wednesday 15 April.

Will this summer’s Graduations take place as scheduled?

Graduations are the highlight of the year at Edinburgh Napier and, as it stands, we hope to be able to hold our ceremonies as planned at the Usher Hall in early July. However, we’re working on contingency plans to ensure all eligible students will be able to graduate in the event we have to postpone these particular ceremonies.
As a result, we’ll soon open graduation registration. This will allow us to issue graduation parchments and graduate all eligible students in absentia whether ceremonies go ahead or not.
If the ceremonies then go ahead as planned in July, all graduating students will receive a letter of congratulations from the Chancellor upon crossing the stage as they will already have their parchment.
If they cannot attend their ceremony for any reason, or if the July ceremonies are postponed, they will be offered the chance to attend an alternative date at the earliest opportunity, when they will receive a letter of congratulations from the Chancellor on stage as normal.

What is the University doing to help students who might need extra funding?

We understand that, due to current situation, many students will be unable to earn enough to meet essential living costs. The University has made funds available to help meet these costs.

If you receive a student loan from SAAS or Student Finance England, Northern Ireland or Wales you should make an application for help from the Discretionary Fund.

Nursing and Midwifery students who receive fund from SAAS or Student Finance England, Northern Ireland and Wales should make an application for help from the Nursing and Midwifery Discretionary Fund.

Students from overseas should apply for help from the International & EU Crisis Fund.

Please note that funds are limited and a high volume of applications are anticipated. Applications should be made either online or by email.  Please read instructions attached to the fund before you apply.

Please allow up to 21 days before you enquire about your application to allow staff to concentrate fully on assessment of applications. The Student Funding team will be working off campus and things may take a bit longer than usual so please be patient.

All other funds are closed and you should apply to whichever fund mentioned above suits your circumstances.

For further details contact

Who should I contact within the University if I have any further questions about COVID-19?

We’ll issue further advice and guidance as it becomes available but, in the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, email