Dr Ivana Rihova is a Tourism Lecturer at Edinburgh Napier University with research interests in tourism and event experiences, events and festivals management and marketing and tourism marketing.
The Business School
+44 (0) 131 455 4613
Dr Ivana Rihova is Lecturer at The Business School, involved in the delivery of a range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules on the tourism and event management programmes. She has active interest in tourism and events education and is serving as co-opted member of the Association for Events Management Education (AEME) executive committee.
Having held a number of customer-facing roles in the tourism and hospitality industry in Europe and the United States, Ivana gained her MSc in International Tourism Management at Edinburgh Napier University in 2008. Her PhD, completed in January 2014 (John Kent Institute in Tourism, Bournemouth University), explored the notion of customer-to-customer value co-creation at festivals. Approached from the perspective of the Customer-Dominant logic in marketing, the research incorporated concepts from service marketing research and practice theory to unpack the processes at work when festival customers co-create value with each other.
Ivana’s research interests and publications include tourism and events stakeholder issues; event volunteering; co-creation of tourism and event experiences; value in service marketing; the use of qualitative research methods and techniques in tourism and events research.
Areas of Expertise
- Tourism and event experiences
- Events and festivals management and marketing
- Tourism marketing
- Co-creation of value
- Service research.
Role conflict in co-created service encounters: new perspectives on old problems.
Lecturer, Edinburgh Napier University
Jan 2014 – Present
Lecturer in Tourism, Event & Hospitality Management, Anglia Ruskin University
Sept 2013 – Jan 2014
Part-time Lecturer, Bournemouth University
Sept 2010 – Sept 2013
Research Assistant, Edinburgh Napier University
Jan 2010 – Sept 2010
PhD, MSc, Ba (Hons)
To add PGCert in higher education – awaiting confirmation of title
Professional memberships and honours
Academy of Marketing – Member
AEME (Association for Events Management Education) - Member
- Rihova, I., Buhalis, D., Moital, M., Gouthro, M-B. (2014) Conceptualising customer-to-customer co-creation in tourism. International Journal of Tourism Research. Vol. 17, Issue 4, pp.356 - 363
- Rihova, I., Buhalis, D., Moital, M., Gouthro, M-B. (2013) Social layers of customer-to-customer value co-creation. Journal of Service Management, Vol. 24, Issue 5, pp.553 – 566.
- Barron, P. and Rihova, I. (2011) Motivation to volunteer: a case study of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival. International Journal of Event and Festival Management, Vol. 2, Issue 3, pp.202-217.
- Leask, A. and Rihova, I. (2010) The role of heritage tourism in the Shetland Islands. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 4, Issue 2, pp.118-129.
- Rihova, I., Buhalis, D., Moital, M., Gouthro, M-B. (in preparation) Social constructions of value: marketing considerations for the context of events and festival visitation. In: O. Moufakkir and T. Pernecky (eds.)Ideological, Social and Cultural Aspects of Events. CABI (Accepted 11th June 2013)
- Rihova, I. (2015) Book Review: D. O'Reilly, G. Larsen & K. Kubacki, Music, Markets and Consumption. Goodfellow Publishers, Oxford, ISBN: 978-1-908999-52-8, Tourism Management, Vol. 51, pp. 283 - 284.
- Rihova, I., 2013. Book Review C. Gibson, J. Connell, Music Festivals and Regional Development in Australia (2013) Ashgate Publishing Limited, Farnham, ISBN 9780754675266 237 pp., Tourism Management, Vol. 36, p.119.
- Rihova, I., Buhalis, D., Moital, M. and Gouthro, M.-B., 2012. Social constructions of value: considerations for the context of festival participation. In: R. J. Mykletun, ed. Proceedings of the Global Events Congress V: Advances in Event Management Research & Practice, 13th - 15th June 2012, Stavanger, Norway: University of Stavanger, pp.107-118.