Fees and funding

You'll need to pay your fees in advance at the start of every year of study. You should make sure you are able to pay the fees, or have secured funding from a research council or other funder, before you start your research at Edinburgh Napier.

Getting help paying for your degree

Many organisations offer bursaries and scholarships, which can help you to pay for your degree.

Fees for the 2020/1 and 2021/2 academic years

Graphic image detailing research degree fees 2021-2022

If you're not sure which fee applies to you, or have any other questions about the process, talk to our fees team.

We review all fees annually.

You will need to pay tuition fees for every year or part-year of your standard period of study. You will also need to pay writing-up fees for each year after the end of the standard period of study until you submit your thesis. The University does not pay writing-up fees as part of a studentship.

Paying your fees

If you are paying for your fees yourself, you can pay by:

  • credit or debit card
  • direct bank transfer
  • cheque

Option 1: Pay online by credit or debit card

You can pay online using a Mastercard, Visa, Visa debit or Visa Electron card.

Option 2: Pay by bank transfer

Contact your bank to arrange a transfer, using the following details:

  • Bank name: Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Bank address: 206 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh, EH10 4DF, Scotland, UK
  • IBAN: GB11RBOS83182500261075
  • Account number: 00261075
  • Sort code: 831825

Option 3: Pay by cheque

Send your cheque, in pounds stirling, to the following address:

Finance services
Edinburgh Napier University
Sighthill Campus
Sighthill Court
EH11 4BN

Make your cheque payable to "Edinburgh Napier University (Fees)".

Print your matriculation number clearly on the back of the cheque.

Nominate a sponsor to pay your fees

If a sponsor, including a government award body, is paying your fees, you must provide evidence of this when you matriculate.

If you're being sponsored for more than one academic year, you'll need to update this information at the start of each academic year.

If your sponsor withdraws financial support, or fails to pay any part of your fees, you will be liable to pay the outstanding amount.