Edinburgh Napier University’s Tourism Research Centre (TRC) is home to cutting-edge research that is internationally recognised and addresses real world challenges.
The TRC involves academics, research students and practitioners from a broad range of tourism, hospitality and festival and event management contexts across destinations. Our research has expanded the theoretical foundation of key academic topics, influenced policy makers and supported practitioners.
An inter-disciplinary group, we draw on expertise from across Edinburgh Napier University and from our national and international Visiting Professors.
We have a wide range of expertise on areas such as, but not limited to:
• Destinations – management, leadership, the welcome destination, networks;
• Cultural Heritage Management – visitor attraction experiences, intangible cultural heritage, World Heritage Sites, museums management;
• Festivals and Events – management, experiences, branding, development, security, impacts;
• Critical Studies – hospitality, tourism, festivals and events, small business enterprises, education.
• Intercultural communications – languages, intercultural competence, gender relations, third space, English as a lingua franca.
Our doctoral students contribute towards the research culture and reputation of the Tourism and Languages Subject Group. We provide a sound foundation in basic and advanced research methods for our doctoral students, and develop researchers of the future who will bring critical thinking to the development theory and practice in our fields of expertise. As well as the formal training programme, as part of our research student community, you will be able to participate in regular research seminars, conferences, writing workshops and retreats.
Please contact Professor Anna Leask on firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries relating to doctoral studies.
We have a range of academics with extensive knowledge and links with industry amongst our Visiting Professors at Edinburgh Napier University. Also, all 12 Directors of the Edinburgh Festivals that contribute to Festivals Edinburgh are Visiting Professors. They contribute to research and teaching as well as attending industry events both in Edinburgh and overseas.