Student Funding

The Scottish Government has confirmed that nationals from the EU27 member states whose studies began in the Academic Year 2020/21 or earlier will continue to access existing funding arrangements during the intended length of their studies. Although tuition fees for new EU students will change in the Academic Year 2021/22, current students will not be affected by those changes.


The Withdrawal Agreement which facilitates the UK’s departure from the European Union on 31 January 2020 includes an agreement on citizens' rights during the transitional/implementation period which will be in place until 31 December 2020. During this time, EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens can come to, or remain in, the UK on the same basis as they were able to prior to the UK’s departure from the EU.

If your studies end after the end of the transition period (i.e. 31 December 2020) or you wish to remain in the UK beyond this point for any other reason you will need to apply by 30 June 2021 for leave to remain in the UK under a scheme designed by the UK Government known as the EU Settlement Scheme. You will need to do this if you wish to remain in the UK after the end of the transitional/implementation period, or otherwise apply under another category of the immigration rules.

EU students who are intending to travel overseas over the New Year holiday and return to the UK in January 2021 may wish to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme prior to 31 December 2020 as a visa will be required from 1 January 2021. 

Republic of Ireland citizens will continue to benefit from their rights under the Common Travel Area and as a consequence their status does not change as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

Should you require any guidance or have any questions, our Visa and International Support team is here to help. Please email 

Edinburgh Napier University is open to Europe
Universities UK: Brexit FAQ

The latest from Universities UK as it works through the ramifications of the leave vote for the higher education sector.