It is important that, as an international student, you comply with the UK immigration regulations during your registration at the University.
Your immigration responsibilities are to:
  • Provide the University with a copy of your current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit.
  • Provide the University with a copy of your ATAS certificate (if applicable).
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the University
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the Home Office.
  • Re-enrol for your course on time each academic year.
  • Study whilst you are in the UK (ensuring that you meet the progression and attendance requirements of your course with no significant gaps or absences).
  • Ensure you are engaged with study or your work placement for any period of time abroad or elsewhere in the UK, whilst the University is still sponsoring you under Tier 4/Student visa.
  • Follow University processes if you decide to defer or suspend your studies, change your registration status, or withdraw from your course. You are strongly advised to consult the International Support Team for advice on how such changes would affect your current immigration status.  More details are on myNapier.
  • Leave the UK if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or your course is terminated or if you are asked to re-sit without attendance (you should seek immigration advice if your student enrolment changes in any of these ways).
  • Apply for permission from The Home Office if you change education provider (to another approved Tier 4 sponsoring institution). The Visa & International Support Team can help with this.  
  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa: - for example, do not break the rules on working or claiming public funds and make sure you register with the Police, if required, and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days of any change to your circumstances.
  • Report any change of circumstance to the Home Office using the Migrant Change of Circumstances form.
  • To ensure that you continue to retain a valid visa by extending or applying for a new visa before your current visa expires and that you provide the University with a copy of any new visa.
  • To ensure you provide the University with a copy of a new/renewed passport each time this is obtained.

The University’s immigration responsibilities

The University has the following responsibilities and duties under the Points Based System which we are required to comply with in order to retain our Student Sponsor Licence and continue to invite international students to study at Edinburgh Napier University:

  • To ensure that those students who require immigration permission to study in the UK have such permission.
  • To take and keep copies of the current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permits for students to whom we have issued a CAS and who are granted their visa.
  • To keep up to date contact details for our international students (and to keep a record of any changes of address).
  • To check the enrolment of our students and to report any failure to enrol to the Home Office.
  • To monitor students’ attendance and progression and report to the Home Office any failure to meet the University’s requirements for progression and attendance.
  • To monitor changes of status and to report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to the Home Office.
  • To notify the Home Office of any significant changes in your circumstances (such as the change of course, change of study location or the successful completion of your course where this is earlier than expected).