Do I need a visa?

A visa (sometimes referred to as ‘Entry Clearance’) gives you permission to enter the UK.

Before you travel to the UK check whether you need to apply for a visa.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals arriving in the UK on or before 31st December 2020

If you are planning to arrive in the UK before 31 December 2020, then, as you will be entering prior to the end of the transition period, you will be eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme. You must ensure to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021.

You can enter the UK using either your EU passport, or your EU national identity card.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals arriving in the UK from 1st January 2021

If you arrive in the UK after 31 December 2020, then you will have to apply for the new Student visa route,  unless you already hold settled or pre-settled status or are an ROI student (you are able to enter and stay in the UK without any need for a visa owing to Common travel area rules.   (EU nationals will not be eligible to apply for the Student visa route unless they are coming to the UK after 31 December 2020).

My programme is more than six months long

If you are coming to the UK for the main purpose of studying a programme which is more than six months in length, you should apply for the Student Visa Route in your home country before travelling.

My programme is less than six months long

If you are coming to the UK for a programme that is less than six months in length, and you do not wish to work (including work placements as part of your programme) or extend your studies in the UK, you can apply to come to the UK as a short term student.

My programme is an English language course

If you are studying an English language course of up to 11 months in length, you can come to the UK on the Student Visa Route.

I want to study a part-time course

The University does not sponsor students to study on part-time programmes in the UK under the Student Visa route. International applicants must therefore have other valid immigration leave to study part-time.

Non-visa nationals

Nationals of some countries can travel to the UK for up to six months without needing to apply for a visa before travelling. These are called 'non-visa nationals'.

If you are a non-visa national, you can ask for permission to be admitted to the UK when you arrive at immigration control.

You will get a stamp in your passport that will allow you to stay in the UK as a short term student for up to six months. Please carry your offer letter in your offer hand luggage and ensure you advise the Border Control Officer that you are in the UK to study so that you are given the correct permission to be in the UK.