Advanced Structural Concrete
Concrete: constituents and their properties, plastic and hardened properties, strength, durability and influencing factors as well as strengths, stiffness, fracture parameters, loading/environmental conditions, constitutive relationships, plastic and visco-plastic models, cracking models.
Reinforcement: properties, bond-slip, stiffening, dowel action, constitutive relationships.
Reinforced concrete (RC): stress-strain relationship of concrete and steel and their relevance to reinforced concrete design, the importance of the interaction between concrete and steel and its influence on RC behaviour and structural response.
Durability of reinforced concrete: durability of reinforced concrete and influencing factors.
Basic principles of:
EC2: design of (prestressed) concrete structures and components.
EC4: Design of composite structures.
Advanced Structural Steel Design
Eurocodes: EN1990, EN1991 and EN 1993
Lattice girder design: secondary bracing and secondary bending systems.
Buckling Instability: modes of buckling instability, i.e. local, flexural, LTB, torsional etc.
Structural stability of frames: second-order effects.
Buckling behaviour of thin plates: in-plane compression, shear, bending and bearing.
Plate Girder Design: single span plate girder design, i.e. flanges, webs, stiffeners & welds.
Fatigue Analysis: constant/variable amplitude fatigue loading, S-N curves, cycle counting using rainflow and reservoir methods. The use of EN 1993-1-9 in relation to weld design.
Geotechnical Earthquake and Offshore Engineering
General (and Re-cap): Bearing capacity theory, philosophy of Eurocode 7 and 8, limit state design, EQU and GEO limit states, design approaches, shallow footing design, design of deep foundations: by ground test results; by load test results, reinforced concrete design of footings.
Cyclic behaviour of soils: Dynamic properties of soils, their measurement and interpretation. Pore water pressure development, soil liquefaction and stiffness degradation
Seismic geotechnical design: Seismic bearing capacity according to Eurocode 8. Mononobe-Okabe approaches for the calculation of earth pressures
Offshore geotechnical design: Cyclic behaviour of piles. Interaction diagrams. ICP and API design methods
Research Theory and Experimentation: research hypothesis, research design, experimentation and data gathering, hypothesis testing and data analysis
Research Presentation: abstracts, synopses, documentation, writing, referencing and presentation
Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Design
Introduction: types and sources of dynamic loading, structural vibration and consequences;
Single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) systems: motion, natural frequency, undamped/damped free vibration, excitation response, numerical analysis;
Multi-degree-of-freedom (MDOF) systems: property matrices, mode shapes, mode superposition;
Continuous systems: longitudinal/transverse vibration;
Case studies: earthquake ground motion;
Eurocode 1998 (EC8): Design of structures for earthquake resistance.
1. An Introduction to the Module, Timber and Timber engineering – Robert Hairstans (RH)
2. Material Grading, Classification and Mechanical Properties: the material properties of time and how it is classified and graded for structural use – Dan Ridley Ellis (DRE)
3. Ultimate Limit State & Serviceability Limit State and the Basis of Timber Design – Bernardino D’Amico (BDA)
4. Member Design: analyse and design statically determinate timber beams, columns and load bearing elements – (BDA)
5. Connections 1: The theory of connection design and Eurocode design principles – Andrew Livingston (AL)
6. Connections 2 / Diaphragm Action: An overview of other connection types such as toothed nailed plates and moment connections and also the design of systems using connections such as wall diaphragms - AL
7. Case Study / Coursework: an overview of a case study with design related coursework activity - TBC
8. Engineered and Truss Systems: the design principles of engineered systems including truss design - Wojciech Plowas (WP)
9. Dynamics / Vibrational Performance: theory of the dynamic response of timber systems and vibrational performance – Aamir Khokhar (AK)
10. Massive Timber Systems: an overview of the varying types of mass timber systems and their structural design considerations – RH
11. Fire: fire performance of structural timber systems in the temporary and permanent state – Martin Milner or Ivor Davies
12. Engineering Timber Products and Systems: Case study of structural timber use by an invited guest lecturer – TBC