Amir Hussain received his B.Eng (highest 1st Class Honours with distinction) and Ph.D degrees, from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K., in 1992 and 1997, respectively.
Following postdoctoral and academic positions at the Universities of West of Scotland (1996-98), Dundee (1998-2000) and Stirling (2000-18) respectively, he joined Edinburgh Napier University (in Scotland, UK) in 2018 as Professor and founding Head of the Data Science and Cyber Analytics (DSCA) Research Group (managing ~20 academics and research staff). As part of the latter, he is also founding Head of the Cognitive Big Data and Cybersecurity (CogBiD) Research Lab.
RESEARCH PROFILE AND TRACK RECORD:
Professor Hussain's research interests are cross-disciplinary and industry-led, aimed at developing cognitive data science and AI technologies, to engineer the smart and secure systems of tomorrow.
He has (co)authored three international patents and around 400 publications, including 140+ international journal papers, 20 Books/monographs and 100+ Book chapters with (current Google h-index of 45, i10-index of 127, and 40+ Research Gate score).
He has led major (£multi-million) national, EU and internationally funded projects, and supervised over 30 PhD students and 30+ postdoctoral researchers to-date.
INTERNATIONAL DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS (Examples)
• He is founding Editor-in-Chief of two leading international journals: Cognitive Computation (Springer Nature: SCI Impact Factor (IF): 3.48), and BMC Big Data Analytics (BioMed Central), and of the Springer Book Series on Socio-Affective Computing, and Cognitive Computation Trends.
• He has been appointed invited Associate Editor/Editorial Board member for a number of prestigious journals, including: the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (IF: 7.9), Information Fusion (Elsevier, IF: 5.8), AI Review (Springer, IF: 3.8), IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (IF: 6.6), and the IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence.
• In 2017, he was ranked in an independent survey (published in Elsevier’s leading Information Processing & Management Journal), as one of world’s top two most productive. AI researchers in sentiment analysis (since 2000). His works on biologically-inspired natural language processing (for sentiment & opinion mining) are ISI highly-cited papers.
• He was co-Leader of the Winning Team (jointly with Tsinghua University) at the 2nd World Intelligent Driving Challenge (WIDC), held in Tianjin, China, 15-17 May 2018. This is an annual, internationally leading competition comprising contests in autonomous driving, intelligent assistance, information security and virtual testing. The Challenge attracts 90-100 teams from industry, universities and research institutes across the world, and is broadcast by over 100 international media outlets.
• His pioneering research on Sentic Computing for Big Data sentiment analytics and Natural Language Processing, was awarded the top “4* (Outstanding)” (industrial) Impact evaluation by UK Government’s Research Enhancement Framework (REF2014) exercise, and also the Best Performing Approach Award for 'Semantic Parsing' Task at the joint-industry & academic-led 'Concept-Level Sentiment Analysis Challenge’, organized as part of the 11th Extended Semantic Web Conference.
• Amongst other distinguished, international conference chairing roles (see examples below), he is General Chair for IEEE WCCI 2020 (the world's largest and top technical event in Computational Intelligence, comprising IJCNN, IEEE CEC and FUZZ-IEEE, attended by ~2,000 delegates: http://wcci2020.org).
• He is Vice-Chair of the Emergent Technologies Technical Committee of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, IEEE Chapter Chair of the UK and Ireland IEEE Industry Applications Society, and (founding) Vice-Chair for the IEEE CIS Task Force on Intelligence Systems for e-Health.
MAJOR INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ORGANIZING (examples)
He is Founding/General/Organizing Chair for over 50 leading international conferences, including:
General Chair: IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI’2020) – world’s largest, top biennial Conference on Computational Intelligence (comprising IJCNN, FUZZ-IEEE, IEEE-CEC, attended by ~2,000 delegates), Glasgow, Scotland, 19-25 July 2020 (http://wcci2020.org)
Founding General Chair: Annual IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Healthcare & e-Health (IEEE CICARE) – organized as part of the flagship IEEE SSCI Conference (since 2013) – IEEE SSCI CICARE 2019 in China, 6-9 Dec 2019
Founding General Chair: 1st-9th International Conference on Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems (BICS) (since 2004) - BICS’2019 in China, 12-14 July 2019 (http://bics-online.org )
General co-Chair: 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Data, Exeter, UK, 21-23 June 2017
Program Chair: 4th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Systems (IEEE DSS’2018), Exeter, UK, 28-20 June 2018
MAJOR RESEARCH GRANTS AND CONTRACTS (Examples):
2015-2019 UK Government’s Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded (£0.5M) project with aims to develop cognitively-inspired multi-modal machine learning algorithms for next-generation, audio-visual hearing aids and assistive technology. Consortium Lead PI for this cross-disciplinary project, in partnership with Psychologists (University of Stirling), Speech & Hearing Researchers (University of Sheffield), major hearing-aid manufacturers: Phonak AG (Sonova) & UK MRC Institute of Hearing Research. (EP/M026981/1). The project has been extensively covered in the media (including the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-33098322).
2015-2018 Scottish Government’s Chief Scientist Office (CSO), NHS & industry co-funded (£0.5M) project on ”Prognostic Modeling of multi-level Big Data genetic & environmental factors in Crohn’s and Colitis”. Institutional PI (Project Co-I) for the project Consortium comprising 12 leading UK Universities and Hospitals (led by Edinburgh University).
2008-11 UK EPSRC funded interdisciplinary project developed cognitive machine learning algorithms and decision support systems for complex autonomous systems, in the context of regular road driving and planetary rovers. Consortium Lead PI on ~£0.4Million grant in collaboration with Psychology (University of Sheffield) and industry (SciSys Ltd & Industrial Systems Control Ltd.) (EP/I009310/1)
2015-18 Scottish Funding Council (SFC) funded Digital Health Institute (DHI) project “Big-Data and IoT-enabled Smart Healthcare Mobile Apps exploiting deep machine learning, predictive modelling, gamification and visualization”. Lead PI for this ambitious project with aims to commercialize innovative digital healthcare technology.
2010-18 UK Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE), British Council and National Natural Science Foundation-China (NNSFC) funded projects, joint with Tsinghua University, Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, Beihang University, MIT Media Lab and Harvard Medical School. These developed a range of sparse, deep and re-enforcement learning algorithms for natural language processing and complex system modelling applications. Lead PI (~£0.4M)
2008-11 ESF COST2102. Research Network project: “Verbal and non-verbal communication technologies & applications”, involving 27 EU countries. The project developed hands-free (tele)communications services, including intelligent avatars, remote health monitoring & interactive dialogue systems. Vice-Chair & Grant Holder (~Euro 0.5M)
2006-2010 EU Asia IT&C: ICEIE. Interdisciplinary project in collaboration with partners from Philippines and Italy that developed an intelligent web-based Geographical Information System for cultural and environmental information exchange”. PI (~Euro0.4M)
2003-2005 Lead PI for the UK EPSRC funded, prestigious international Research Network on "Novel Computation - Towards multiple-model based learning & control paradigms for complex systems". This project was awarded an (Overall) Assessment of “Tending to Outstanding” by EPSRC’s post-Grant Review Panel.
EXAMPLE (RECENT) PUBLICATIONS:
1. Xiong F, Sun B, Yang X, Qiao H, Huang K, Hussain A, Liu Z, "Guided Policy Search for Sequential Multitask Learning," in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 49(1): 216-226 (2019)
2. Zhang L, Liu Z, Zhang S, Yang X, Qiao H, Huang K, Hussain A: Cross-modality interactive attention network for multispectral pedestrian detection, (Elsevier) Information Fusion, 50: 20-29 (2019)
3. Leracitano C, Mammone N, Bramanti A, Hussain A, Morabito F.C: A Convolutional Neural Network approach for classification of dementia stages based on 2D-spectral representation of EEG recordings, (Elsevier) Neurocomputing, Vol. 323, pp. 96-107 (2019)
4. Khan F.A, Gumaei A, Derhab A, Hussain A: A Novel Two-Stage Deep Learning Model for Efficient Network Intrusion Detection, in press, IEEE Access, 2019
5. Arafat S, Aljohani N, Abbasi R, Hussain A, Lytras M, Connections between E-learning, web science, cognitive computation and social sensing, and their relevance to learning analytics: A preliminary study, (Elsevier) Computers in Human Behavior, 92: 478-486 (2019)
6. Mahmud, M; Kaiser, M. S; Hussain, A: Vassanelli, S, Applications of Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning to Biological Data, IEEE Transactions in Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 29(6):2063-2079 (2018)
7. Yang X, Huang K, Zhang R, Hussain A: Learning Latent Features with Infinite Non-negative Binary Matrix Tri-factorization, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, 2(5): 450-463, (2018)
8. Wajid S, Hussain A, Huang K: Three-Dimensional Local Energy-Based Shape Histogram (3D-LESH)-Based Feature Extraction‒ A Novel Technique, (Elsevier) Expert Systems with Applications, 112: 388-400, (2018)
9. Hussain A, Cambria C: Semi-Supervised Learning for Big Social Data Analysis, (Elsevier) Neurocomputing, 275: 1662-1673 (2018)
10. Malik Z.K., Hussain A, Wu J: Multi-Layered Echo State Machine: A novel Architecture and Algorithm, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 47(4):946 - 959 (2017)