Is there any help when I apply from the UK (Leave to Remain)?

For unconditional offer-holders and students who wish to make their Student Visa application in the UK, to study at Edinburgh Napier University, the International Support Team can help you apply.   We provide a service which means we can check your application before you submit it to the Home Office. 

Our service:
  • Is free to all Edinburgh Napier University students and applicants holding an unconditional offer
  • We will check your Student Route visa extension application and supporting documents
  • We are qualified and experienced
  • We can write supporting letters explaining any anomalies in your application
  • We can track the progress of your application and keep you informed of any updates
  • We have special access to a Home Office member of staff who can help with any questions about your application

We advise you to complete as much of the Student Visa online application form before your appointment with our team.

Can I make my Student Visa application in the UK?

It depends on a number of things.
  1. If you currently hold a Tier 4 student visa you might be permitted to apply under the Student Visa route in the UK, however this is not always the case so we recommend you speak to Visa & International Support.
  2. If you hold a Short Term Student visa, you cannot apply for a different immigration permission from within the UK.
  3. If there is no gap (i.e., if your current visa will expire after the new course start date), or, if the gap is 28 days or less, then you will be permitted to make your Student visa application in the UK. 
  4. If the gap is more than 28 days, you are not permitted to apply within the UK and you should return to your home country and apply there

Finally, it will also depend on whether the University agrees to sponsor you and whether any conditions apply to your sponsorship. You can contact the International Support Team for more information if you are unsure.

When can I make my Student Visa application?

If you are in the UK, you must submit your Student visa application online on or before the expiry date of your current visa.

If you fail to do so, you will be overstaying which is a criminal offence.

It is important that you give yourself enough time to gather your documents for your application. We would recommend that you put a note in your diary about two months prior to your visa expiry date to remind you to begin preparing your application and supporting documents.

If you have completed one course of study elsewhere in the UK and are applying for a Student visa to study at Edinburgh Napier University, you must have received your CAS and submitted your Student visa application before enrolling at the University but you don’t have to have received the decision on your visa application.

If you have completed one course of study at Edinburgh Napier University and you are applying for a visa to study a new course at Edinburgh Napier University, you will need to submit an application using a CAS before you start your new course.  If you are unable to do so, you should seek urgent advice from the International Support Team.

What documents do I need to make an application?

More information can be found on our Supporting Documents webpage.

How long should my visa be valid for?

You should be given some additional time after your 'course end' date to prepare your departure or prepare to switch / extend your visa.

Depending on the type and length of the course you are doing, you may be given between 7 days and 4 months of additional leave.

If the caseworker has not granted you the amount of leave you are entitled to, you should make an appointment with the International Support Team to have it corrected.