What documents do I need to make an application?

  • Completed Student Visa online application form 
  • Appropriate visa application fee that you will pay online by credit or debit card
  • Appropriate Immigration Health Surcharge fee that you will pay online by credit or debit card 
  • CAS number
  • Passport(s) - current passport and any previous passport(s) which contain visas for the UK
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (if applicable)
  • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable - make sure it is updated with your current address)
  • Evidence confirming you have the required money - not required if low risk national or been in the UK with permissions for 12 months
  • Evidence of official financial sponsorship (If applicable)
  • Certificate or transcript of previous studies (as stated on your CAS) - not required if low risk national
  • Certificate of English language qualification If an English language test has been stated in the 'Evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS you will need to provide this certificate along with your visa application. Do not submit an English language certificate if you will be studying a degree level course AND your CAS states that the University has made own assessment of your English language ability. If you will be studying a sub-degree level course (e.g., Pre-sessional English, Diploma course or International Foundation programme), ensure that you submit the same English language certificate as stated in your CAS, which should be valid at the time you submit your visa application, and is acceptable for visa purposes (see English Language Test and Certificate)
  • ATAS certificate (if stated on your CAS)

Additional documents which may be required

For students with dependants: if your spouse is applying as your dependant at the same time, you will need to submit your Marriage certificate.   If you have children applying as your dependant(s) at the same time, you will also need to submit their Birth Certificate(s).

If you are 16 or 17 years old when making your visa application, you will also need to provide a parents' consent letter. The letter must confirm their relationship with you (i.e., they are your legal parents or legal guardians); they agree to your living arrangements in the UK, as well as the arrangements made for your travel to and arrival in the UK; and they consent to you travelling independently to, and living independently in, the UK (if you will be living independently in the UK). If you have only one parent or legal guardian, or only one who has legal custody or whole responsibility, this must be confirmed in the letter as well. If this statement is not provided, the letter must be signed by both parents and legal guardians.

If any of your documents are not in English, an English translation must be provided with your visa application (see details set out in Paragraph 16 of the Student Visa Policy Guidance). The University is unable to assist in the translation of documents.

Some embassies may offer a translation service for official documents in their language and there are also qualified individuals and other private companies specialising in translation services. You should, however, ensure that any translations meet all four of the Home Office translation requirements as detailed in the link above.