How to apply from overseas (Entry Clearance)

In order to apply for your Entry Clearance you will need to apply online.

You must ensure that you have sufficient time to secure your visa and travel to the UK in time for the start of your course. If the Entry Clearance post think that their processing time will not allow you to receive your visa before your course is due to start, your application may be refused.  You should also note that Edinburgh Napier University has a latest enrolment date which will be indicated on your CAS and if you cannot arrive before this time, you should not travel to the UK as the University will not be able to enrol you.

How much money do I need when preparing financial evidence?

What documents do I need to provide?

When can I apply?

When applying from outside the UK, you cannot submit your application more than six months before your course is due to start. You are advised to check the Home office website for more details.

Do I need to take a TB test?

Applicants for UK visas in certain countries require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

Further information on TB requirements can be found on the Government website.

If you have been in the UK for more than six months holding a student visa and are returning to your home country and applying for a student visa while there, as long as you are not in that country for more than six months, you do not need to take a TB test.

Is there any Premium or Priority Service?

Premium and priority applications are usually processed between 48 hours and 10 working days.

To find out if such services are available in a country, please check the VFS global website and select the country, then click 'User Pay Services' on the top menu of the page.

UK Visas and Immigration advises that applicants should not apply for a premium or priority service if they:

  • have been refused leave to enter the UK;
  • have been previously deported, removed, or otherwise required to leave the UK;
  • have overstayed a period of leave in the UK;
  • have had leave to remain in the UK curtailed by the Home Office;
  • have been refused leave to remain in the UK by the Home Office;
  • have been previously refused a visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the USA, or a Schengen country;
  • have been interviewed, detained, or prosecuted by the police for any offence in the UK or elsewhere;
  • have an unspent criminal conviction in any country; and/or
  • have committed a criminal offence in any country.

Can I contact anyone for more advice on making an application overseas?

The Visa & International Support Team are happy to help advise you during the application process therefore please contact us directly.