Dimitra Gkatzia is a lecturer at the School of Computing at Edinburgh Napier University. She holds a BSc (Hons) from the University of Piraeus (Greece), an MSc on Artificial Intelligence (Distinction) from Heriot-Watt and a PhD in Computer Science from Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh, UK). After her PhD, she was appointed postdoctoral researcher at Heriot-Watt's Interaction Lab investigating Natural Language Generation methods for information presentation of uncertain data, where she developed the Extended Weather Game for task-based evaluations for NLG (Gkatzia et al., 2015; Gkatzia et al., 2017). In 2016, Dimitra joined Edinburgh Napier University where she currently supervises 3 research students in the area of NLP, and has assumed the role of Programme Leader for BEng (Hons) Computing and Module Leader for Data Wrangling.
Dimitra is interested in making computers and robots interact in a human-like way using natural language, while at the same time respecting the privacy of the users as well as protecting the environment (through Green AI). Specifically, she is interested in developing data-driven Natural Language Understanding and Generation techniques that utilise privacy-preserving methods by respecting users' sensitive information and instead employing transfer learning approaches. In addition, she is interested in making dialogue systems (such as Alexa, Siri) converse naturally, by enhancing their responses with commonsense and world knowledge. She envisions a future where humans and robots co-exist and collaborate in domestic, public and work settings.
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROJECTS
* Natural Language Generation for low-resource domains (EPSRC, 2020 – 2023: Principal Investigator
* CiViL: Commonsense and Visually enhanced natural Language generation (EPSRC, 2020-2023): Principal Investigator
* Natural language interfaces to support career decision-making of young people (ESRC & SDS, 2020 – 2023): co-Investigator
* Intelligent Agents (Innovate UK, 2019 – 2022): co-Investigator
* Multi3Generation (COST Action, 2019-2023): WG3 Leader
INTERNATIONAL DISTINCTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- Since 2016, Dimitra is an elected member of the Steering Board of the Special Interest Group in Natural Language Generation (SIGGEN).
- Organisation of major scientific events: founder of the NLG4HRI workshop series (2018, 2020), EACL 2021 (Demo chair), NAACL 2018 (Area Chair), INLG 2019 (Area Chair), INLG 2016 (general chair & organiser), International Workshop on Data-to-text Generation 2015 (general chair, local chair, session chair), IEEE ROMAN 2014 (registration chair and coordination of student-volunteers, UKCI 2012 (social media coordinator).
- Programme Committee member (2015 - ): IntelLanG, EACL, Journal of Advanced Robotics, ACL, EMNLP, IJCAI, INLG, IEEE FUZZ, WiNLP, ACM ICMI.