Frequently Asked Questions - visiting students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for visiting students

Click to the links below to jump to a specific FAQ

What is a Visiting Student?

Visiting Students are non-graduating students who study at the Edinburgh Napier University (ENU) typically for either one or two trimesters, undertaking credits to be transferred back to their home institution.
There are three categories of Visiting Students:
  • Study Abroad (via a provider with whom ENU has a contractual arrangement);
  • Exchange (via a partner university with whom ENU has a contractual exchange agreement);
  • Free movers – ENU does not have a formal agreement with these students’ home
  • universities (Primarily EU fee-paying students).

When can I study?

You can study at Edinburgh Napier University for the full academic year or either autumn (fall) or spring trimester.
Application deadline:
  • Full Academic Year: September – May. The online application goes live on 15 April and the application deadline is 15 May.
  • Trimester One: September – December. The online application goes live on 15 April and the application deadline is 15 May.
  • Trimester Two: January – May. The online application goes live on 15 September and the application deadline is 15 October.
Please note we do not accept applications for Trimester 3 (May-August).
The University term dates can be viewed here.

What courses can I study?

For undergraduate Visiting Student course information, please click the “Choose your modules" link. You must read through our guideline notes before you select your module choices.

The information on the website includes details of any required pre-requisites. The modules listed are from level SCQF07 (year 1) to level SCQF10 (year 4). Students normally choose 3 modules, each worth 20 Napier/10 ECTS/5US credits.

How can I apply?

If you are an Exchange student, your home university must send us a nomination email to If you are nominated successfully, you will receive an invitation to apply online. You can submit your online application through the Visiting Student Portal.
As part of the online application you will be required to upload:
  • Transcript of Records (record of the courses and grades you have undertaken at your home institution) in English
  • Copy of the personal details page of your passport;
  • Confirmation of English language abilities (non-native speakers only) as specified below:

- If you are applying only for 1 trimester (semester), then you need to provide an endorsement letter from your home university with the following sentence:

''We have assessed that that the required B2 level is met in all four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking) of the CEF as the student (your first and the last name) has been taught and examined in English''.

- If you are applying for a full year programme, then you need to provide evidence of passing one of the following English language tests. The requirements are listed on our English language requirements webpage.

  • A portfolio may be required for certain Design, English Literature, Film, Journalism, Music, and Photography modules. All questions concerning portfolio requirements should be sent to Craig McFarlane or Shona Richardson if you are a design student.

Do I need to pay tuition fees and if so, how much do I pay?

  • Exchange students do not pay tuition fees to Edinburgh Napier University.
  • Study Abroad students, who apply via a provider, do not pay their tuition fees directly to the University.
  • Fees for free movers: £2,930 per undergraduate module.
If you have any further questions regarding your tuition fees, please contact

What happens with my application after I have submitted it?

You will receive an email to confirm that your online application has been received. Your application and module choices will be assessed by academic staff. This process can take a number of weeks. Enrolment on your preferred modules is not guaranteed.
Our Admissions Team will notify you about the outcome of your application. If you have been accepted, you will receive your Offer of Admission via email.

How do I apply for accommodation?

Before you can apply for the university accommodation you must have an unconditional offer emailed to you by our Admissions Team. Once you have an offer you should submit your accommodation application here.
For more information on accommodation please visit the Edinburgh Napier Student Accommodation webpages.

Due to a high number of students applying for the university accommodation, we cannot guarantee accommodation for everyone, and we would like to encourage you to familiarise yourself with our private accommodation guide.

Do I need a visa?

You can check if you need a visa by visiting the following UK Government website.

All questions concerning visa requirements should be sent to our trained Immigration Advisors at

Once I’m accepted, how do I enrol?

Before you start as a student, you must complete the online matriculation process. Matriculation is the formal process where you register as a student with Edinburgh Napier University. You will receive an email to your personal email account normally one month prior to your arrival, which with will ask you to create your Edinburgh Napier password for all of our IT and Library Services.
Once you've done this, you'll be able to access the link to the online matriculation system. For more information on matriculation please visit the following website.

Which School and campus do I belong to?

If you are going to study modules from one of the following subject areas:
  • Accounting, Business & Management, Entrepreneurship, Financial Services, Human Resource Management, Languages, Law, Marketing or Tourism, you belong to the Business School and you will be studying at Craiglockhart campus.
  • Biology, Psychology, Social Sciences or Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences you belong to the School of Applied Sciences and you will be studying at Sighthill campus.
  • Computer Security and Forensics, Computer Systems, Digital Media, Soc Games or Software Engineering, you belong to the School of Computing and you will be studying at Merchiston campus.
  • Building and Surveying, Civil Engineering, Electronics, Electrical, Maths or Mechanical Materials and Manufacturing Management, you belong to the School of Engineering and Built Environment and you will be studying at Merchiston campus.
  • Film, Graphic Design, Interior and Spatial Design, Product Design, Journalism, Mass Communications and PR, Music, Photography or Popular Music, you belong to the School of Arts and Creative Industries and you will be studying at Merchiston campus.

Who can sign my Learning Agreement and/or provide more information about my module selection, timetable and academic induction?

Your Learning Agreement must be signed by your Academic Advisor. For information about your modules and academic induction please contact your Programme Administrator.
You can find their details below:

The Business School
Academic Advisor:
Programme Administrator: Martina Orlando & Rachel Falconer

School of Applied Sciences
Academic Advisor: Alex McIntyre
Programme Administrator: Ruth Bell
School of Computing, Engineering & Built Environment
Academic Advisor: Johnson Zhang
Programme Administrator: Leanne Clyde

School of Arts and Creative Industries
Programme Administrators: Craig McFarlane and Shona Richardson (design students only)

Do I need to attend the International Student Induction?

Yes, you must attend an obligatory International Student Induction at the beginning of the Trimester. 

Please note that you have to register for this event. The details of the induction event will be emailed to you in the Pre-Arrival Information Pack 4-6 weeks prior to trimester commencing.

Who can sign my paperwork?

Apart from your Learning Agreement, which must be signed by your Academic Advisor, any Confirmation of Arrival, Confirmation of Departure or Presence form will be signed by the iPoint at your home campus.
The iPoints provide a range of services including:
  • Issuing ID Cards; 
  • Providing advice on the student Council Tax Exemption; 
  • Producing student status and attendance letters; 
  • Producing bank letters. 

What kind of support services are available to Visiting Students?

The Academic Skills team can help you to develop the following academic skills: critical reading and writing, delivering presentations, structuring essays and reports, building an academic argument and applying academic feedback;

The Student Counselling & Mental Wellbeing team offers a range of support and advice for students who are experiencing stress, anxiety or other mental health issue;

The Disability & Inclusion team supports for any student with a disability, specific learning difficulty, or health condition.

Can I join a club or society?

Yes, membership of Edinburgh Napier Students Association is automatic when you become a student. ENSA is elected by the students, to represent the students. You can join any of 26 sport clubs and 34 student societies.

What is the cost of living in Edinburgh?

The estimated cost of living is £915-1195 per month. For more information, please see page 5 of the ENSA Advice Booklet.

When will my Transcript of Records will be available?

Your School will generate your transcript when you complete your studies. Transcripts are issued 6-8 weeks after the end of Trimester.
Transcripts for Overseas Exchange and Study Abroad students are sent directly to a study abroad provider or a partner university.
Transcripts for Erasmus students are sent in two copies: one copy is sent to the student and the other copy is sent to the student's home university.
Transcripts for Free Movers are sent directly to the students.

Who should I contact if I need more information?

The Global Mobility team are the first point of contact for visiting students and you can contact them by emailing


Information current as on 22/01/2021.