1. How many winners are there?
There is one overall winner who will be awarded a full fee paying scholarship to study a one-year Tourism masters degree at Edinburgh Napier University.
There are three runners up who will be awarded a £2,000 fee deduction to study a one-year Tourism masters degree at Edinburgh Napier University.
2. How do I enter the competition?
Entering the Destination Edinburgh Scholarship is simple.
3. How do I win the competition?
You must have the best answer to 'What makes Edinburgh a successful tourism destination?'
You must meet the qualifying criteria and be shortlisted by the judges.
You must be interesting, motivated and inspiring.
You must be social media savvy and demonstrate your social media and digital abilities.
You must receive the largest number of public votes before the competition closes.
4. Who decides which prize I receive?
5. Who can enter the competition?
You must be aged 18 years or over as at 1 February 2017.
You must be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa to the UK.
You must be a citizen and resident of the United States of America.
You must be able to travel to the UK after August 2017.
You must meet the academic qualification requirements.
Please see the terms and conditions for full eligibility requirements.
6. When does the competition start and finish?
You must complete your video and submit it along with the online application by 30 March 2017.
7. When will the finalists be announced?
13 April 2017.
8. When will the winners be announced?
26 April 2017.
9. How many times can I enter the competition?
You may only enter the competition once.
10. How many times can someone vote for my video?
Someone can vote for your video multiple times.
11. What are the technical requirements of the video?
You must post a link of your video from YouTube. Your video must not exceed 90 seconds.
12. What happens if I cannot see my video?
Please check the YouTube guidelines for posting videos.
13. Are there any guidelines for the video that I upload?
- The video should answer the following question: What makes Edinburgh a successful tourism destination?
- The video should be no more than 90 seconds in length.
- The video can be shot on your mobile phone or professionally made.
- Video should showcase your creativity, knowledge and passion for tourism.
- The video must demonstrate your suitability as a brand ambassador during your time at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Video should highlight your social media abilities and understanding.
- The video must be in English.
- The video must not be defamatory, obscene, pornographic, derogatory, objectionable, violent, profane or inappropriate in any way.
- The video must not show illegal, dangerous, politically motivated, cruel or irresponsible activities.
14. Do I need to meet the university entry requirements?
Yes. You will be asked to provide evidence of this if your video is shortlisted. You will be given a specific time period in which to do this. Failure to provide evidence within this specific timeline will result in disqualification from the competition.
15. Can I stay in the UK once my masters programme ends?
Winners may stay on in the UK at their own expense if they meet the necessary visa requirements.
16. What are my responsibilities as an Edinburgh Napier University international brand ambassador?
You will be expected to create digital content and blog about your experiences through appropriate social media channels.
17. Will I be paid as the international brand ambassador for Edinburgh Napier University?
No. This position is on a volunteer basis. However Edinburgh Napier University will endeavour to subsidise and / or provide complementary opportunities to experience life in Scotland with local tourism partners.
18. Can I bring my family with me to the UK?
If you and your family meet the necessary visa requirements. However no assistance will be provided in arranging this.
19. Who will shortlist entrants?
A judging panel comprised of the University and tourism industry professionals.
20. What is NOT included in the prize?
Passport or visa costs
Travel to and from the nearest major airport in your home country
Accommodation during your time in Edinburgh
Additional costs associated with study
21. What are my obligations as an international student ambassador for Edinburgh Napier University?
As a winner you will be expected to blog on your experience in Scotland through relevant social media, websites and other channels. You will be expected to make yourself available to be photographed or filmed from time to time, and submit regular video diaries.
22. What happens if I need to withdraw from my studies due to severe personal circumstances?
If you need to withdraw for a short period – i.e. a 1-2 week break, you can do so; however an extension cannot be granted.
23. If I have a disability, can I still enter and will I be supported?
Yes, you can certainly still enter and you will be supported during your time at Edinburgh Napier University.
24. Will I receive a qualification upon completing the scholarship?
Yes, you will be awarded a full Masters of Science qualification, as long as you pass the course and qualify to do so.
25. What can I study if I win the scholarship?
The following courses qualify for the scholarship:
- Heritage & Cultural Tourism Management - MSc
- International Event & Festival Management - MSc
- International Marketing with Tourism & Events - MSc
- International Tourism Management - MSc
- Marketing with Festival and Event Management - MSc
- Tourism Marketing - MSc
- Tourism & Hospitality Management - MSc
For more information, please refer to the Terms and Conditions on this site.
26. What happens if I leave my MSc scholarship before completing the degree qualification?
If you withdraw from the MSc scholarship you will be liable for the following fees:
- Withdrawal in the first 4 weeks - no fee due;
- Withdrawal after 4 weeks of study - 25% fees due;
- Withdrawal after 10 weeks of study - 50% fees due;
- Withdrawal after 4 weeks of Second Semester - 100% of fees due.